CS/SB 692 — Local Government
by Community Affairs Committee and Senator Bennett
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Community Affairs Committee (CA)
This bill amends the Formation of Municipalities Act in ch. 165, F.S., to require an earlier submission of a proposed municipality incorporation feasibility study. The bill also provides a procedure for the municipal conversion of an independent special district upon an elector-initiated and approved referendum. The petition for referendum requires 40 percent of qualified electors and may be commenced if the district meets all of the following criteria:
- was created by special act;
- is designated as a ch. 298, F.S., improvement district or a stewardship district;
- has an elected governing board;
- provides at least four of the following municipal services: water, sewer, solid waste, drainage, roads, transportation, public works, fire and rescue, street lighting, parks and recreation, or library or cultural facilities; and
- no portion of the district is located within a municipality.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect upon becoming law.
Vote: Senate 39-0; House 104-13