2014 Florida Statutes
628.901 Definitions.—As used in this part, the term:
(1) “Affiliated company” means a company in the same corporate system as a parent, an industrial insured, or a member organization by virtue of common ownership, control, operation, or management.
(2) “Captive insurance company” means a domestic insurer established under this part. A captive insurance company includes a pure captive insurance company, special purpose captive insurance company, or industrial insured captive insurance company formed and licensed under this part.
(3) “Captive reinsurance company” means a reinsurance company that is formed and licensed under this part and is wholly owned by a qualifying reinsurance parent company. A captive reinsurance company is a stock corporation and may not directly insure risks. A captive reinsurance company may reinsure only risks.
(4) “Consolidated debt to total capital ratio” means the ratio of the sum of all debts and hybrid capital instruments as described in paragraph (a) to total capital as described in paragraph (b).
(a) Debts and hybrid capital instruments include, but are not limited to, all borrowings from banks, all senior debt, all subordinated debts, all trust preferred shares, and all other hybrid capital instruments that are not included in the determination of consolidated GAAP net worth issued and outstanding.
(b) Total capital consists of all debts and hybrid capital instruments as described in paragraph (a) plus owners’ equity determined in accordance with GAAP for reporting to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
(5) “Consolidated GAAP net worth” means the consolidated owners’ equity determined in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles for reporting to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
(6) “Controlled unaffiliated business” means a company:
(a) That is not in the corporate system of a parent and affiliated companies;
(b) That has an existing contractual relationship with a parent or affiliated company; and
(c) Whose risks are managed by a captive insurance company in accordance with s. 628.919.
(7) “GAAP” means generally accepted accounting principles.
(8) “Industrial insured” means an insured that:
(a) Has gross assets in excess of $50 million;
(b) Procures insurance through the use of a full-time employee of the insured who acts as an insurance manager or buyer or through the services of a person licensed as a property and casualty insurance agent, broker, or consultant in such person’s state of domicile;
(c) Has at least 100 full-time employees; and
(d) Pays annual premiums of at least $200,000 for each line of insurance purchased from the industrial insured captive insurance company or at least $75,000 for any line of coverage in excess of at least $25 million in the annual aggregate. The purchase of umbrella or general liability coverage in excess of $25 million in the annual aggregate shall be deemed to be the purchase of a single line of insurance.
(9) “Industrial insured captive insurance company” means a company that provides insurance only to the industrial insureds that are its stockholders or members, and affiliates thereof, or to the stockholders, and affiliates thereof, of its parent corporation. An industrial insured captive insurance company can also provide reinsurance to insurers only on risks written by such insurers for the industrial insureds that are the stockholders or members, and affiliates thereof, of the industrial insured captive insurance company, or the stockholders, and affiliates thereof, of the parent corporation of the industrial insured captive insurance company.
(10) “Office” means the Office of Insurance Regulation.
(11) “Parent” means any corporation, limited liability company, partnership, or individual that directly or indirectly owns, controls, or holds with power to vote more than 50 percent of the outstanding voting interests of a captive insurance company.
(12) “Pure captive insurance company” means a company that insures risks of its parent, affiliated companies, controlled unaffiliated businesses, or a combination thereof.
(13) “Qualifying reinsurer parent company” means a reinsurer that currently holds a certificate of authority or qualifies for credit for reinsurance under s. 624.610(3) and possesses a consolidated GAAP net worth of at least $500 million and a consolidated debt to total capital ratio of not greater than 0.50.
(14) “Special purpose captive insurance company” means a captive insurance company that is formed or licensed under this chapter that does not meet the definition of any other type of captive insurance company defined in this section.
(15) “Treasury rates” means the United States Treasury STRIPS asked yield as published in the Wall Street Journal as of a balance sheet date.
History.—ss. 632, 809(1st), ch. 82-243; s. 5, ch. 85-214; ss. 1, 11, ch. 87-127; ss. 77, 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 19, ch. 2012-151; s. 1, ch. 2013-209.
Note.—Former s. 628.035.