(1) Effective July 1, 2003, the Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Advisory Committee is created within the Florida Forest Service and consists of nine members, all of whom are appointed by the Commissioner of Agriculture. The appointees shall include one representative of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, one representative of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, one representative of the Department of Environmental Protection’s Office of Greenways and Trails, one representative of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, one citizen with scientific expertise in disciplines relating to ecology, wildlife biology, or other environmental sciences, one representative of a licensed off-highway vehicle dealer, and three representatives of off-highway vehicle recreation groups. In making these appointments, the commissioner shall consider the places of residence of the members to ensure statewide representation.
(2) The term of office of each member of the advisory committee is 2 years. The members first appointed shall classify themselves by lot so that the terms of four members expire June 30, 2005, and the terms of five members expire June 30, 2006.
(3) In case of a vacancy on the advisory committee, the commissioner shall appoint a successor member for the unexpired portion of the term.
(4) The members shall elect a chair among themselves who shall serve for 1 year or until a successor is elected.
(5) The members of the advisory committee shall serve without compensation while in the performance of their official duties.