2017 Florida Statutes
Continuing education; dentists.
Continuing education; dentists.
466.0135 Continuing education; dentists.—
(1) In addition to the other requirements for renewal set out in this chapter, each licensed dentist shall be required to complete biennially not less than 30 hours of continuing professional education in dental subjects. Programs of continuing education shall be programs of learning that contribute directly to the dental education of the dentist and may include, but shall not be limited to, attendance at lectures, study clubs, college postgraduate courses, or scientific sessions of conventions; and research, graduate study, teaching, or service as a clinician. Programs of continuing education shall be acceptable when adhering to the following general guidelines:
(a) The aim of continuing education for dentists is to improve all phases of dental health care delivery to the public.
(b) Continuing education courses shall address one or more of the following areas of professional development, including, but not limited to:
1. Basic medical and scientific subjects, including, but not limited to, biology, physiology, pathology, biochemistry, and pharmacology;
2. Clinical and technological subjects, including, but not limited to, clinical techniques and procedures, materials, and equipment; and
3. Subjects pertinent to oral health and safety.
(c) The board may also authorize up to three hours of credit biennially for a practice management course that includes principles of ethical practice management, provides substance abuse, effective communication with patients, time management, and burnout prevention instruction.
(d) Continuing education credits shall be earned at the rate of one-half credit hour per 25-30 contact minutes of instruction and one credit hour per 50-60 contact minutes of instruction.
(2) Programs meeting the general requirements of subsection (1) may be developed and offered to dentists by any of the following agencies or organizations:
(a) The American Dental Association, the National Dental Association, and state, district, or local dental associations and societies affiliated with the American Dental Association or the National Dental Association.
(b) National, state, district, or local dental specialty organizations affiliated with the American Dental Association.
(c) Dental colleges or schools accredited as provided in this chapter.
(d) Other organizations, schools, or agencies approved by the board.
(3) A dentist shall complete the required continuing education as provided in this section and shall retain in her or his records any receipts, vouchers, or certificates necessary to document completion of such continuing education.
(4) Compliance with the continuing education requirements of this section shall be mandatory for the issuance of a renewal certificate by the department; however, the board shall have the authority to excuse licensees, as a group or as individuals, from said requirements, or any part thereof, in the event of an unusual circumstance, emergency, or special hardship.
History.—ss. 3, 5, ch. 85-156; ss. 7, 23, 24, ch. 86-291; s. 60, ch. 91-137; s. 7, ch. 91-156; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 253, ch. 97-103; s. 5, ch. 2005-189; s. 26, ch. 2016-230.