2018 Florida Statutes
961.02 Definitions.—As used in ss. 961.01-961.07, the term:
(1) “Act” means the Victims of Wrongful Incarceration Compensation Act.
(2) “Department” means the Department of Legal Affairs.
(3) “Division” means the Division of Administrative Hearings.
(4) “Eligible for compensation” means that a person meets the definition of the term “wrongfully incarcerated person” and is not disqualified from seeking compensation under the criteria prescribed in s. 961.04.
(5) “Entitled to compensation” means that a person meets the definition of the term “eligible for compensation” and satisfies the application requirements prescribed in s. 961.05, and may receive compensation pursuant to s. 961.06.
(7) “Wrongfully incarcerated person” means a person whose felony conviction and sentence have been vacated by a court of competent jurisdiction and who is the subject of an order issued by the original sentencing court pursuant to s. 961.03 finding that the person did not commit the act or offense that served as the basis for the conviction and incarceration and that the person did not aid, abet, or act as an accomplice or accessory to a person who committed the act or offense.
History.—s. 2, ch. 2008-39; s. 1, ch. 2017-120.