CS/CS/HB 277: Sovereign Immunity
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Civil Justice Subcommittee ; Goodson ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Costello
Sovereign Immunity; Requires that claim in wrongful death case be presented to DFS within 2 years after claim accrues; provides that failure of DFS or appropriate agency to make final disposition within 90 days after filing is deemed to be final denial of claim; tolls statute of limitations for time taken by DFS or other agency to deny medical malpractice or wrongful death claim; provides that actions for wrongful death against state or one of its agencies or subdivisions must be brought within period applicable to actions brought against other defendants, etc.
Last Action: 6/2/2011 - Chapter No. 2011-113
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Government Operations Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 29
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 02/09/11, 1:00 pm, 404 HOB
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 13 NAYS 0 -HJ 150
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.19(c)
• Now in Government Operations Subcommittee -HJ 149
• On Committee agenda-- Government Operations Subcommittee, 03/08/11, 8:00 am, 306 HOB
• Introduced -HJ 29
• Favorable by Government Operations Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 1 -HJ 152
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 152
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 147
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/17/11, 9:00 am, 404 HOB
• CS/CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 0 -HJ 259
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.19(c)
• CS/CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 255
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 265
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/14/11
• Read 2nd time -HJ 631
• Read 3rd time -HJ 631
• CS passed; YEAS 117 NAYS 0 -HJ 631
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary; Governmental Oversight and Accountability; Community Affairs -SJ 573
• Received -SJ 573
• Withdrawn from Judiciary; Governmental Oversight and Accountability; Community Affairs -SJ 593
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• Substituted for CS/CS/SB 594 -SJ 593
• Read 2nd time -SJ 593
• Read 3rd time -SJ 593
• CS passed; YEAS 35 NAYS 2 -SJ 593
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 1964
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2011-113
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.