HB 627: Service of Process
GENERAL BILL by Pilon ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Campbell
Service of Process; Requires sheriffs to charge uniform fee for service of process; requires employer to permit authorized individual to make service on employee in private area designated by employer; provides civil fine; authorizes substitute service during first attempt of service at sole proprietorship under certain circumstances; requires person requesting service or person authorized to serve process to file return-of-service form; revises provision on service of corporation; authorizes sheriff to rely on affidavit submitted by levying creditor & apply for instructions from court regarding distribution of proceeds from sale of levied property.
Last Action: 6/20/2014 - Chapter No. 2014-207
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 53
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 02/05/14, 1:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 0 -HJ 155
• Now in Justice Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 155
• On Committee agenda-- Justice Appropriations Subcommittee, 02/19/14, 1:00 pm, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 158
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 158
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/03/14, 12:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 16 NAYS 0 -HJ 161
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 161
• Introduced -HJ 53
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/19/14
• Read 2nd time -HJ 299
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 317
• Passed; YEAS 116 NAYS 1 -HJ 317
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary; Community Affairs -SJ 350
• Received -SJ 350
• Withdrawn from Judiciary; Community Affairs -SJ 508
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 508
• Substituted for SB 620 -SJ 508
• Read 2nd time -SJ 508
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 581
• Passed; YEAS 37 NAYS 0 -SJ 581
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 705
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2014-207
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.