CS/CS/HB 757: Estates
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Civil Justice Subcommittee ; Spano
Estates; Specifies that certain restrictions on gifts to lawyers & certain other people apply to written instruments executed after date certain; providing applicability; provides circumstances under which burden of proof shifts in cases involving undue influence; provides retroactive application; requires that directive to apply certain death benefits for payment of claims & administration expenses be specified in certain instruments; provides for retroactive applicability; establishes which party bears burden of proof in action to contest validity or revocation of trust; provides changes apply after date certain; requires specific directive for certain assets & death benefits to be used to pay estate expenses; provides for retroactive applicability; provides for vesting of outright devises in certain trust documents; provides applicability.
Last Action: 6/13/2014 - Chapter No. 2014-127
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Insurance and Banking Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 65
• Introduced -HJ 65
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 03/12/14, 8:00 am, Sumner Hall
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 284
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.19(c)
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 282
• Original reference(s) removed: Insurance and Banking Subcommittee
• CS referred to Judiciary Committee -HJ 292
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 292
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/21/14, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• CS/CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 338
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.19(c)
• CS/CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 333
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 387
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/09/14
• Read 2nd time -HJ 498
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 519
• CS passed; YEAS 115 NAYS 0 -HJ 519
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary; Banking and Insurance; Rules -SJ 523
• Received -SJ 523
• Withdrawn from Judiciary; Banking and Insurance; Rules -SJ 573
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 573
• Substituted for CS/SB 998 -SJ 573
• Read 2nd time -SJ 573
• Read 3rd time -SJ 573
• CS passed; YEAS 34 NAYS 0 -SJ 573
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 705
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2014-127
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.