HB 413: Trusts
GENERAL BILL by Moraitis
Trusts; Deletes requirement that trust & its terms be for benefit of trust's beneficiaries; revises provisions relating to notice or sending of trust documents to include posting on secure electronic account or website; tolls specified limitations periods under certain circumstances; authorizes authorized trustee to appoint all or part of principal of trust to second trust or supplemental needs trust under certain circumstances; clarifies that certain knowledge by beneficiary does not cause claim to accrue for breach of trust or commence running of period of limitations or laches; provides retroactive application.
Last Action: 2/21/2018 Senate - Placed on 3rd reading
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 38
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee, 12/06/17, 4:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; YEAS 9 NAYS 0 -HJ 259
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 259
• Introduced -HJ 37
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 01/11/18, 8:30 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 19 NAYS 0 -HJ 320
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 320
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 01/24/18
• Read 2nd time -HJ 399
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 421
• Passed; YEAS 107 NAYS 0 -HJ 421, 422
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary; Banking and Insurance; Rules -SJ 264
• Received -SJ 264
• Withdrawn from Judiciary; Banking and Insurance; Rules -SJ 372
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 372
• Substituted for SB 478 -SJ 372
• Read 2nd time -SJ 372
• Placed on 3rd reading
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.