CS/HB 985: Involuntary Commitment
GENERAL BILL by Health and Human Services Committee ; Gonzalez
Involuntary Commitment; Requires APD to provide certain notice of eligibility determinations; requires court to conduct annual hearings on continued need for involuntary placement in residential services; requires court to pay certain fees for testimony by examining committee members & allows court to determine fees for experts; provides for participation of guardian or guardian advocate in placement determinations; requires court to hold competency hearing within specified timeframe when defendant is competent to proceed; provides limitation on conditional release for community-based competency training for defendant who is incompetent to proceed.
Last Action: 3/10/2018 Senate - Died in Children, Families, and Elder Affairs
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Children, Families and Seniors Subcommittee; Health Care Appropriations Subcommittee; Health and Human Services Committee -HJ 85
• Introduced -HJ 85
• On Committee agenda-- Children, Families and Seniors Subcommittee, 01/23/18, 3:30 pm, 12 HOB
• Favorable by Children, Families and Seniors Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 412
• Now in Health Care Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 412
• On Committee agenda-- Health Care Appropriations Subcommittee, 02/06/18, 9:30 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Health Care Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 0 -HJ 534
• Now in Health and Human Services Committee -HJ 534
• On Committee agenda-- Health and Human Services Committee, 02/15/18, 8:30 am, Morris Hall
• CS by- Health and Human Services Committee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 607
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Health and Human Services Committee read 1st time -HJ 604
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 613
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/02/18
• Read 2nd time -HJ 804
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 861, 862
• CS passed; YEAS 112 NAYS 0 -HJ 862
• In Messages
• Referred to Children, Families, and Elder Affairs; Appropriations Subcommittee on Health and Human Services; Appropriations -SJ 775
• Received -SJ 774
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Children, Families, and Elder Affairs
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.