2017 Florida Statutes
760.22 Definitions.—As used in ss. 760.20-760.37, the term:
(1) “Commission” means the Florida Commission on Human Relations.
(2) “Covered multifamily dwelling” means:
(a) A building which consists of four or more units and has an elevator; or
(b) The ground floor units of a building which consists of four or more units and does not have an elevator.
(3) “Discriminatory housing practice” means an act that is unlawful under the terms of ss. 760.20-760.37.
(4) “Dwelling” means any building or structure, or portion thereof, which is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families, and any vacant land which is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location on the land of any such building or structure, or portion thereof.
(5) “Familial status” is established when an individual who has not attained the age of 18 years is domiciled with:
(a) A parent or other person having legal custody of such individual; or
(b) A designee of a parent or other person having legal custody, with the written permission of such parent or other person.
(6) “Family” includes a single individual.
(7) “Handicap” means:
(a) A person has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, or he or she has a record of having, or is regarded as having, such physical or mental impairment; or
(b) A person has a developmental disability as defined in s. 393.063.
(8) “Person” includes one or more individuals, corporations, partnerships, associations, labor organizations, legal representatives, mutual companies, joint-stock companies, trusts, unincorporated organizations, trustees, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, and fiduciaries.
(9) “Substantially equivalent” means an administrative subdivision of the State of Florida meeting the requirements of 24 C.F.R. part 115, s. 115.6.
(10) “To rent” includes to lease, to sublease, to let, and otherwise to grant for a consideration the right to occupy premises not owned by the occupant.
History.—s. 3, ch. 83-221; s. 1, ch. 84-117; s. 1, ch. 87-106; s. 28, ch. 89-308; s. 1, ch. 89-321; s. 1138, ch. 97-102.