2005 Florida Statutes
Telephone directory advertising revenues.
364.037 Telephone directory advertising revenues.--The commission shall consider revenues derived from advertising in telephone directories when establishing rates for telecommunications services. When establishing such rates, the gross profit from all directory advertising in the local franchise area of a telecommunications company shall be allocated between the regulated portion and the nonregulated portion of its operation as provided in this section.
(1) The gross profit derived from directory advertising to be included in the calculation of earnings for ratemaking purposes shall be the amount of gross profit derived from directory advertising during the year 1982 adjusted, for each subsequent year, by the Consumer Price Index published by the United States Department of Commerce and by customer growth or the amount of gross profit actually derived from directory advertising in the local franchise area for the year, whichever is less.
(2) The gross profit derived from directory advertising to be allocated to the nonregulated operation of a company shall be the gross profit which is in excess of the adjusted 1982 amount determined in accordance with subsection (1).
(3) For the purpose of this section, the amount of gross profit of a company from directory advertising for the year 1982 is the actual gross profit derived from such advertising for that year. If, however, the expense to a company to furnish directories in 1982 exceeded 40 percent of the gross revenue derived from its directory advertising, the 1982 level of gross profit shall be adjusted to reflect a cost of 40 percent of its 1982 gross revenue. This adjusted 1982 gross profit level shall be utilized in lieu of actual gross profit for 1982 when making the calculations in subsection (1).
(4) Any profit associated with providing directory advertising service outside the franchise area of a company may not be considered when determining gross profit derived from directory advertising for ratemaking purposes. Any investment or expenses associated with providing directory advertising service outside its franchise area may not be recovered through rates for telephone service.
(5) Notwithstanding any provision of this section to the contrary, no less than two-thirds of the total gross profit of a company from directory advertising within its local franchise area for any year shall be included in the regulated portion of its operation when establishing rates.
History.--ss. 1, 7, ch. 83-73; ss. 6, 7, ch. 89-163; ss. 6, 48, 49, ch. 90-244; s. 4, ch. 91-429.