2005 Florida Statutes
403.803 Definitions.--When used in this act, the term, phrase, or word:
(1) "Branch office" means a geographical area, the boundaries of which may be established as a part of a district.
(2) "Canal" is a manmade trench, the bottom of which is normally covered by water with the upper edges of its sides normally above water.
(3) "Channel" is a trench, the bottom of which is normally covered entirely by water, with the upper edges of its sides normally below water.
(4) "Commission" means the Environmental Regulation Commission.
(5) "Department" means the Department of Environmental Protection.
(6) "District" or "environmental district" means one of the geographical areas, the boundaries of which are established pursuant to this act.
(7) "Drainage ditch" or "irrigation ditch" is a manmade trench dug for the purpose of draining water from the land or for transporting water for use on the land and is not built for navigational purposes.
(8) "Environmental district center" means the facilities and personnel which are centralized in each district for the purposes of carrying out the provisions of this act.
(9) "Headquarters" means the physical location of the offices of the secretary and the division directors of the department.
(10) "Insect control impoundment dikes" means artificial structures, including earthen berms, constructed and used to impound waters for the purpose of insect control.
(11) "Manager" means the head of an environmental district or branch office who shall supervise all environmental functions of the department within such environmental district or branch office.
(12) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Environmental Protection.
(13) "Standard" means any rule of the Department of Environmental Protection relating to air and water quality, noise, solid-waste management, and electric and magnetic fields associated with electrical transmission and distribution lines and substation facilities. The term "standard" does not include rules of the department which relate exclusively to the internal management of the department, the procedural processing of applications, the administration of rulemaking or adjudicatory proceedings, the publication of notices, the conduct of hearings, or other procedural matters.
(14) "Swale" means a manmade trench which:
(a) Has a top width-to-depth ratio of the cross section equal to or greater than 6:1, or side slopes equal to or greater than 3 feet horizontal to 1 foot vertical;
(b) Contains contiguous areas of standing or flowing water only following a rainfall event;
(c) Is planted with or has stabilized vegetation suitable for soil stabilization, stormwater treatment, and nutrient uptake; and
(d) Is designed to take into account the soil erodibility, soil percolation, slope, slope length, and drainage area so as to prevent erosion and reduce pollutant concentration of any discharge.
History.--s. 3, ch. 75-22; s. 62, ch. 83-310; s. 40, ch. 84-338; s. 9, ch. 86-173; s. 56, ch. 86-186; s. 422, ch. 94-356.