2006 Florida Statutes
Community college presidents; powers and duties.
1001.65 Community college presidents; powers and duties.--The president is the chief executive officer of the community college, shall be corporate secretary of the community college board of trustees, and is responsible for the operation and administration of the community college. Each community college president shall:
(1) Recommend the adoption of rules, as appropriate, to the community college board of trustees to implement provisions of law governing the operation and administration of the community college, which shall include the specific powers and duties enumerated in this section. Such rules shall be consistent with law, the mission of the community college and the rules and policies of the State Board of Education.
(2) Prepare a budget request and an operating budget pursuant to s. 1011.30 for approval by the community college board of trustees at such time and in such format as the State Board of Education may prescribe.
(3) Establish and implement policies and procedures to recruit, appoint, transfer, promote, compensate, evaluate, reward, demote, discipline, and remove personnel, within law and rules of the State Board of Education and in accordance with rules or policies approved by the community college board of trustees.
(4) Govern admissions, subject to law and rules or policies of the community college board of trustees and the State Board of Education.
(5) Approve, execute, and administer contracts for and on behalf of the community college board of trustees for licenses; the acquisition or provision of commodities, goods, equipment, and services; leases of real and personal property; and planning and construction to be rendered to or by the community college, provided such contracts are within law and guidelines of the State Board of Education and in conformance with policies of the community college board of trustees, and are for the implementation of approved programs of the community college.
(6) Act for the community college board of trustees as custodian of all community college property and financial resources. The authority vested in the community college president under this subsection includes the authority to prioritize the use of community college space, property, equipment, and resources and the authority to impose charges for the use of those items.
(7) Establish the internal academic calendar of the community college within general guidelines of the State Board of Education.
(8) Administer the community college's program of intercollegiate athletics.
(9) Recommend to the board of trustees the establishment and termination of programs within the approved role and scope of the community college.
(10) Award degrees.
(11) Recommend to the board of trustees a schedule of tuition and fees to be charged by the community college, within law and rules of the State Board of Education.
(12) Organize the community college to efficiently and effectively achieve the goals of the community college.
(13) Review periodically the operations of the community college in order to determine how effectively and efficiently the community college is being administered and whether it is meeting the goals of its strategic plan adopted by the State Board of Education.
(14) Enter into agreements for student exchange programs that involve students at the community college and students in other institutions of higher learning.
(15) Approve the internal procedures of student government organizations and provide purchasing, contracting, and budgetary review processes for these organizations.
(16) Ensure compliance with federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and other requirements that are applicable to the community college.
(17) Maintain all data and information pertaining to the operation of the community college, and report on the attainment by the community college of institutional and statewide performance accountability goals.
(18) Certify to the department a project's compliance with the requirements for expenditure of PECO funds prior to release of funds pursuant to the provisions of chapter 1013.
(19) Provide to the law enforcement agency and fire department that has jurisdiction over the community college a copy of the floor plans and other relevant documents for each educational facility as defined in s. 1013.01(6). After the initial submission of the floor plans and other relevant documents, the community college president shall submit, by October 1 of each year, revised floor plans and other relevant documents for each educational facility that was modified during the preceding year.
(20) Establish a committee to consider requests for waivers from the provisions of s. 1008.29 and approve or disapprove the committee's recommendations.
(21) Develop and implement jointly with school superintendents a comprehensive articulated acceleration program, including a comprehensive interinstitutional articulation agreement, for the students enrolled in their respective school districts and service areas pursuant to the provisions of s. 1007.235
(22) Have authority, after notice to the student of the charges and after a hearing thereon, to expel, suspend, or otherwise discipline any student who is found to have violated any law, ordinance, or rule or regulation of the State Board of Education or of the board of trustees of the community college pursuant to the provisions of s. 1006.62
(23) Submit an annual employment accountability plan to the Department of Education pursuant to the provisions of s. 1012.86
(24) Annually evaluate, or have a designee annually evaluate, each department chairperson, dean, provost, and vice president in achieving the annual and long-term goals and objectives of the community college's employment accountability plan.
(25) Have vested with the president or the president's designee the authority that is vested with the community college.
History.--s. 81, ch. 2002-387.