- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2006 Florida Statutes
Petition, order, notice of election.
567.01 Petition, order, notice of election.--
(1) The board of county commissioners of each county shall order an election to decide whether the sale of intoxicating liquors, wines, or beer shall be prohibited in said county and if not prohibited, to decide the method of sale, upon the presentation to said board at a regular or special meeting, of a written application asking for such a determination in the county in which said application is made signed by one-fourth of the registered voters of the county. The signature of each registered voter shall be personally signed to such application; provided, however, a copy of said petition shall be dated and filed with the clerk of the circuit court of the county in which such election is to be held prior to procuring the signature of any registered voter thereon; and such petition must be completed and presented to the board of county commissioners within 120 days from the date said copy of said petition is originally filed with the clerk of the circuit court; and if not so done, said petition shall be held to be invalid.
(2) The election so ordered shall be to decide either:
(a) Whether the sale of intoxicating liquors, wines, or beer shall be prohibited or permitted in said county, and to decide also whether such sale, if permitted by said election, shall be restricted to sales by the package as hereinafter defined; or
(b) After a prior election has authorized such sale and has restricted sales to by the package only, whether intoxicating liquors, wines, or beer shall be sold by the drink for consumption on premises as provided in s. 567.07(2)(c).
(3) The term "Sales by the package" is defined to mean sales made in sealed containers, for consumption off the premises where sold.
(4) Such an election shall not be ordered oftener than once every 2 years. All orders for such election shall be in writing and shall be entered upon the minutes of the board but this requirement shall be directory only.
(5) Upon the making of the order for an election as aforesaid, the board shall cause its clerk to give at least 30 days' notice of said election by publishing a copy of the order for election in one newspaper in each and every town in said county in which a newspaper or newspapers be published, and if no newspaper be published within the county, then by posting at least 10 copies of said order in 10 of the most public places in said county, one of which shall be the courthouse door. Proof of publication or proof of posting shall be filed with the board and shall be made as provided by ss. 49.10 and 49.11, for making proof of publication and proof of posting incident to constructive service of process, except that the provisions of said sections for recording shall not apply. All proofs of publication and of posting shall be entered upon the minutes of the board, but this requirement shall be directory only.
(6) It is the purpose and intent of the Legislature that such election shall obviate the necessity for holding two separate elections, except as provided in s. 567.07(2)(c), by determining in one election:
(a) Whether the sale of intoxicating liquors, wines, or beer shall be prohibited or permitted, and
(b) If such sales are determined to be permitted, to further determine whether the sales so made shall be limited to sales by the package as herein before defined, or whether sales by the drink on the premises, as well as sales by the package, may be permitted.
A majority of those legally voting at such election must cast their votes for selling intoxicating liquors, wines, or beer in order that the results of the election on the second question shall be effective and binding.
History.--s. 1, ch. 3700, 1887; RS 857; GS 1209; s. 1, ch. 6180, 1911; CGL 1936 Supp. 4151(196); s. 1, ch. 23747, 1947; s. 1, ch. 57-119; s. 1, ch. 85-161; s. 1, ch. 99-380.