2007 Florida Statutes
Florida Business and Education Collaborative.
1000.07 Florida Business and Education Collaborative.--
(1) It is the intent of the Legislature to proactively shape Florida's economic future through the collaboration of business, industry, and educational partners. The Legislature recognizes that Florida's economic prosperity is dependent on tightly aligning educational outputs and outcomes with economic demands in order to shape the future economy of the state. The Legislature further agrees with national and state experts in their assessment that education will continue to play an instrumental role in Florida's ability to compete in the 21st century global economy and that inevitable demographic changes necessitate a collaborative and comprehensive prekindergarten-20 dialogue between educational and industry experts in order to define and recommend aligned solutions. Therefore, the Legislature intends to establish a formal business and education collaborative to perform activities and make recommendations to legislative and state policy boards toward defining and attaining Florida's economic goals.
(2) The Florida Business and Education Collaborative is established as a state-level advisory group to the Governor; the Legislature; the State Board of Education; the Board of Governors of the State University System; boards of independent colleges, universities, and career schools; and other interested parties.
(a) Members of the collaborative shall be appointed by the Governor and shall include state business leaders; state legislative members; representative leaders of state and nonpublic community colleges, colleges, universities, career schools, and workforce education institutions and entities; and national education and economic development policy leaders.
(b) The collaborative shall have as a primary objective the promotion of strategies in public and private postsecondary education that are aligned with economic development goals.
(c) Responsibilities of the collaborative shall include, but not be limited to:
1. Collaboration with appropriate state entities to assess the degree of alignment of postsecondary education programmatic offerings and graduation outcomes with Florida's current and future economic development needs and goals, particularly in targeted occupational areas.
2. Recommendations concerning measurable performance outcomes, trends, standards, and targets for achievement of state goals related to workforce skills, education disciplines and outcomes, and research and development capacity.
3. Recommendations concerning funding approaches to align educational outputs to Florida's economic priorities, including performance funding and contracting mechanisms.
(d) The collaborative shall annually report its findings and recommendations to the State Board of Education, the Board of Governors, the Executive Office of the Governor, the President of the Senate, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives by December 31.
History.--s. 3, ch. 2007-246.