2007 Florida Statutes
558.002 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Action" means any civil action or arbitration proceeding for damages or indemnity asserting a claim for damage to or loss of real or personal property caused by an alleged construction defect, but does not include any administrative action or any civil action or arbitration proceeding asserting a claim for alleged personal injuries arising out of an alleged construction defect.
(3) "Claimant" means a property owner, including a subsequent purchaser or association, who asserts a claim for damages against a contractor, subcontractor, supplier, or design professional concerning a construction defect or a subsequent owner who asserts a claim for indemnification for such damages. The term does not include a contractor, subcontractor, supplier, or design professional.
(4) "Construction defect" means a deficiency in, or a deficiency arising out of, the design, specifications, surveying, planning, supervision, observation of construction, or construction, repair, alteration, or remodeling of real property resulting from:
(a) Defective material, products, or components used in the construction or remodeling;
(b) A violation of the applicable codes in effect at the time of construction or remodeling which gives rise to a cause of action pursuant to s. 553.84;
(c) A failure of the design of real property to meet the applicable professional standards of care at the time of governmental approval; or
(d) A failure to construct or remodel real property in accordance with accepted trade standards for good and workmanlike construction at the time of construction.
(5) "Contractor" means any person, as defined in s. 1.01, that is legally engaged in the business of designing, developing, constructing, manufacturing, repairing, or remodeling real property.
(6) "Design professional" means a person, as defined in s. 1.01, licensed in this state as an architect, interior designer, landscape architect, engineer, or surveyor.
(7) "Real property" or "property" means land that is improved and the improvements on such land, including fixtures, manufactured housing, or mobile homes and excluding public transportation projects.
(8) "Service" means delivery by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the last known address of the addressee.
(9) "Subcontractor" means a person, as defined in s. 1.01, who is a contractor who performs labor and supplies material on behalf of another contractor in the construction or remodeling of real property.
(10) "Supplier" means a person, as defined in s. 1.01, who provides only materials, equipment, or other supplies for the construction or remodeling of real property.
History.--s. 2, ch. 2003-49; s. 2, ch. 2004-342; s. 31, ch. 2004-345; s. 27, ch. 2004-353; s. 109, ch. 2005-2; s. 2, ch. 2006-281.