2016 Florida Statutes
Amendments to laws.
Amendments to laws.
632.612 Amendments to laws.—
(1) A domestic society may amend its laws in accordance with the provisions thereof by action of its supreme governing body at any regular or special meeting thereof or, if its laws so provide, by referendum. Such referendum may be held in accordance with the provisions of its laws by the vote of the voting members of the society, by the vote of delegates or representatives of voting members, or by the vote of local lodges. A society may provide for voting by mail. No amendment submitted for adoption by referendum shall be adopted unless, within 6 months from the date of submission thereof, a majority of the members voting shall have signified their consent to such amendment by one of the methods herein specified.
(2) No amendment to the laws of any domestic society shall take effect unless approved by the office, which shall approve such amendment if it finds that the amendment has been duly adopted and is not inconsistent with any requirement of the laws of this state or with the character, objects, and purposes of the society. Unless the office shall disapprove any such amendment within 90 days after the filing of same, the amendment shall be considered approved. The approval or disapproval of the office shall be in writing and mailed to the secretary or corresponding officer of the society at its principal office. In case the office disapproves the amendment, the reasons therefor shall be stated in the written notice.
(3) Within 90 days from the approval thereof by the office, all such amendments or a synopsis thereof shall be furnished to all members of the society either by mail or by publication in full in the official publication of the society. The affidavit of any officer of the society or of anyone authorized by it to mail any amendments or a synopsis thereof, stating facts which show that same have been duly addressed and mailed, shall be prima facie evidence that such amendments or a synopsis thereof have been furnished the addressee.
(4) Every foreign or alien society authorized to do business in this state shall file with the office a duly certified copy of all amendments of, or additions to, its laws within 90 days after the enactment of same.
(5) Printed copies of the laws as amended, certified by the secretary or corresponding officer of the society, shall be prima facie evidence of the legal adoption thereof.
History.—ss. 4, 6, ch. 86-140; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 1378, ch. 2003-261.