- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2019 Florida Statutes
185.01 Legislative declaration.—
(1) It is hereby found and declared by the Legislature that police officers as hereinafter defined perform both state and municipal functions; that they make arrests for violations of state traffic laws on public highways; that they keep the public peace; that they conserve both life and property; and that their activities are vital to public welfare of this state. Therefore the Legislature declares that it is a proper and legitimate state purpose to provide a uniform retirement system for the benefit of police officers as hereinafter defined and intends, in implementing the provisions of s. 14, Art. X of the State Constitution as they relate to municipal police officers’ retirement trust fund systems and plans, that such retirement systems or plans be managed, administered, operated, and funded in such manner as to maximize the protection of police officers’ retirement trust funds. Therefore, the Legislature hereby determines and declares that the provisions of this act fulfill an important state interest.
(2) This chapter hereby establishes, for all municipal pension plans provided for under this chapter, including chapter plans and local law plans, minimum benefits and minimum standards for the operation and funding of such plans, hereinafter referred to as municipal police officers’ retirement trust funds, which must be met as conditions precedent to the plan or plan sponsor’s receiving a distribution of insurance premium tax revenues under s. 185.10. Minimum benefits and minimum standards for each plan may not be diminished by local ordinance or by special act of the Legislature and may not be reduced or offset by any other local, state, or federal plan that includes police officers in its operation, except as provided under s. 112.65.
History.—s. 1, ch. 28230, 1953; s. 1, ch. 86-42; s. 41, ch. 99-1; s. 8, ch. 2015-39.