2004 Florida Statutes
Requirement for instruction for certain licensees on HIV and AIDS.
(1) The appropriate board shall require each person licensed or certified under chapter 457; chapter 458; chapter 459; chapter 460; chapter 461; chapter 463; part I of chapter 464; chapter 465; chapter 466; part II, part III, part V, or part X of chapter 468; or chapter 486 to complete a continuing educational course, approved by the board, on human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome as part of biennial relicensure or recertification. The course shall consist of education on the modes of transmission, infection control procedures, clinical management, and prevention of human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Such course shall include information on current Florida law on acquired immune deficiency syndrome and its impact on testing, confidentiality of test results, treatment of patients, and any protocols and procedures applicable to human immunodeficiency virus counseling and testing, reporting, the offering of HIV testing to pregnant women, and partner notification issues pursuant to ss. 381.004 and 384.25
(2) Each such licensee or certificateholder shall submit confirmation of having completed said course, on a form as provided by the board, when submitting fees for each biennial renewal.
(3) The board shall have the authority to approve additional equivalent courses that may be used to satisfy the requirements in subsection (1). Each licensing board that requires a licensee to complete an educational course pursuant to this section may count the hours required for completion of the course included in the total continuing educational requirements as required by law.
(4) Any person holding two or more licenses subject to the provisions of this section shall be permitted to show proof of having taken one board-approved course on human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome, for purposes of relicensure or recertification for additional licenses.
(5) Failure to comply with the above requirements shall constitute grounds for disciplinary action under each respective licensing chapter and s. 456.072(1)(e). In addition to discipline by the board, the licensee shall be required to complete the course.
(6) The board shall require as a condition of granting a license under the chapters and parts specified in subsection (1) that an applicant making initial application for licensure complete an educational course acceptable to the board on human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome. An applicant who has not taken a course at the time of licensure shall, upon an affidavit showing good cause, be allowed 6 months to complete this requirement.
(7) The board shall have the authority to adopt rules to carry out the provisions of this section.
(8) The board shall report to the Legislature by March 1 of each year as to the implementation and compliance with the requirements of this section.
(9)(a) In lieu of completing a course as required in subsection (1), the licensee may complete a course in end-of-life care and palliative health care, so long as the licensee completed an approved AIDS/HIV course in the immediately preceding biennium.
(b) In lieu of completing a course as required by subsection (1), a person licensed under chapter 466 who has completed an approved AIDS/HIV course in the immediately preceding 2 years may complete a course 1approved by the Board of Dentistry.
History.--s. 63, ch. 97-261; s. 4, ch. 98-171; s. 9, ch. 99-331; s. 82, ch. 99-397; s. 60, ch. 2000-160; s. 113, ch. 2000-318; s. 2, ch. 2001-176; s. 2, ch. 2001-250; s. 106, ch. 2001-277.
1Note.--As amended by s. 2, ch. 2001-176, and s. 106, ch. 2001-277. The amendment by s. 2, ch. 2001-250, contains the same material, ordered differently, and substitutes the word "designated" for the word "approved."
Note.--Former s. 455.604.