- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2007 Florida Statutes
Special requirements for certain applicants.
97.0535 Special requirements for certain applicants.--
(1) Each applicant who registers by mail and who has never previously voted in the state and who the department has verified has not been issued a current and valid Florida driver's license, Florida identification card, or social security number shall be required to provide a copy of a current and valid identification, as provided in subsection (3), or indicate that he or she is exempt from the requirements prior to voting. Such identification or indication may be provided at the time of registering, or at any time prior to voting for the first time in the state. If the voter registration application clearly provides information from which a voter registration official can determine that the applicant meets at least one of the exemptions in subsection (4), the voter registration official shall make the notation on the registration records of the statewide voter registration system and the applicant shall not be required to provide the identification required by this section.
(2) The voter registration official shall, upon accepting the voter registration application submitted pursuant to subsection (1), determine if the applicant provided the required identification at the time of registering. If the required identification was not provided, the supervisor shall notify the applicant that he or she must provide the identification prior to voting the first time in the state.
(3)(a) The following forms of identification shall be considered current and valid if they contain the name and photograph of the applicant and have not expired:
1. United States passport.
2. Employee badge or identification.
3. Buyer's club identification.
4. Debit or credit card.
5. Military identification.
6. Student identification.
7. Retirement center identification.
8. Neighborhood association identification.
9. Public assistance identification.
(b) The following forms of identification shall be considered current and valid if they contain the name and current residence address of the applicant:
1. Utility bill.
2. Bank statement.
3. Government check.
5. Other government document (excluding voter identification card).
(4) The following persons are exempt from the identification requirements of this section:
(a) Persons 65 years of age or older.
(b) Persons with a temporary or permanent physical disability.
(c) Members of the uniformed service on active duty who, by reason of such active duty, are absent from the county on election day.
(d) Members of the Merchant Marine who, by reason of service in the Merchant Marine, are absent from the county on election day.
(e) The spouse or dependent of a member referred to in paragraph (c) or paragraph (d) who, by reason of the active duty or service of the member, is absent from the county on election day.
(f) Persons currently residing outside the United States who are eligible to vote in Florida.
History.--s. 6, ch. 2003-415; s. 7, ch. 2005-278.