2016 Florida Statutes
Preliminary district budgets.
Preliminary district budgets.
373.535 Preliminary district budgets.—
(1) BUDGET DEVELOPMENT.—
(a) By January 15 of each year, each water management district shall submit a preliminary budget for the next fiscal year for legislative review to the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and the chairs of each legislative committee and subcommittee having substantive or fiscal jurisdiction over water management districts, as determined by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as applicable, in the form and manner prescribed in s. 373.536(5)(e). Each preliminary budget must also include:
1. A section that clearly identifies and provides justification for each proposed expenditure listed in s. 373.536(5)(e)4.e. and f. and identifies the source of funds for each proposed expenditure.
2. A section identifying the justification for proposed expenditures by core mission area of responsibility and the source of funds needed for activities related to water supply, including alternative water supply and water resource development projects identified in the district’s regional water supply plans, water quality, flood protection and floodplain management, and natural systems.
3. A section reviewing the adopted and proposed budget allocations by program area and the performance metrics for the prior year.
4. An analysis of each preliminary budget to determine the adequacy of fiscal resources available to the district and the adequacy of proposed district expenditures related to the core mission areas of responsibility for water supply, including alternative water supply and water resource development projects identified in the district’s regional water supply plans, water quality, flood protection and floodplain management, and natural systems. The analysis must be based on the particular needs within each district for core mission areas of responsibility. The water supply analysis must specifically include a determination of the adequacy of each district’s fiscal resources provided in the district’s preliminary budget to achieve appropriate progress toward meeting the districtwide 20-year projected water supply demands, including funding for alternative water supply development and conservation projects.
(b) If applicable, the preliminary budget for each district must specify that the district’s first obligation for payment is the debt service on bonds and certificates of participation.
(2) LEGISLATIVE REVIEW.—
(a) The Legislature may annually review the preliminary budget for each district, including, but not limited to, those items listed in s. 373.536(5)(e)4.d.-f., specific to regulation, outreach, management, and administration program areas.
(b) On or before March 1 of each year, the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives may submit comments regarding the preliminary budget to the districts, and provide a copy of the comments to the Executive Office of the Governor. Each district shall respond to the comments in writing on or before March 15 of each year to the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and the Executive Office of the Governor.
(3) FUNDING AUTHORITY GRANTED.—Each district shall use the preliminary budget as submitted pursuant to subsection (1), and as may be amended by the district in response to review by the Legislature pursuant to this section and s. 373.503, as the basis for developing the tentative budget for the next fiscal year as provided in s. 373.536(5).
History.—s. 3, ch. 2012-126.