2018 Florida Statutes
468.503 Definitions.—As used in this part:
(1) “Board” means the Board of Medicine.
(2) “Commission” means the Commission on Dietetic Registration, the credentialing agency of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
(3) “Department” means the Department of Health.
(4) “Dietetics” means the integration and application of the principles derived from the sciences of nutrition, biochemistry, food, physiology, and management and from the behavioral and social sciences to achieve and maintain a person’s health throughout the person’s life. It is an integral part of preventive, diagnostic, curative, and restorative health care of individuals, groups, or both.
(5) “Dietetics and nutrition practice” shall include assessing nutrition needs and status using appropriate data; recommending appropriate dietary regimens, nutrition support, and nutrient intake; ordering therapeutic diets; improving health status through nutrition research, counseling, and education; and developing, implementing, and managing nutrition care systems, which includes, but is not limited to, evaluating, modifying, and maintaining appropriate standards of high quality in food and nutrition care services.
(6) “Dietetic technician” means a person who assists in the provision of dietetic and nutrition services under the supervision of a qualified professional.
(7) “Licensed dietitian/nutritionist” means a person licensed pursuant to s. 468.509.
(8) “Licensed nutrition counselor” means a person licensed pursuant to s. 468.51.
(9) “Nutrition assessment” means the evaluation of the nutrition needs of individuals or groups, using appropriate data to determine nutrient needs or status and make appropriate nutrition recommendations.
(10) “Nutrition counseling” means advising and assisting individuals or groups on appropriate nutrition intake by integrating information from the nutrition assessment.
(11) “Preprofessional experience component” means a planned and continuous supervised practice experience in dietetics or nutrition.
(12) “Registered dietitian” or “registered dietitian/nutritionist” means an individual registered with the commission.
History.—ss. 3, 20, ch. 88-236; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 144, ch. 94-218; s. 3, ch. 96-367; s. 1, ch. 2015-125; s. 57, ch. 2016-10.