2017 Florida Statutes
Licensing of surplus lines agent.
Licensing of surplus lines agent.
626.927 Licensing of surplus lines agent.—
(1) Any individual while licensed and appointed as a resident general lines agent as to property, casualty, and surety insurances, and who is deemed by the department to have had sufficient experience in the insurance business to be competent for the purpose, and who, within the 4 years immediately preceding the date the application was submitted, has a minimum of 1 year’s experience working for a licensed surplus lines agent or who has successfully completed 60 class hours in surplus and excess lines in a course approved by the department, may be licensed as a surplus lines agent, upon taking and successfully passing a written examination as to surplus lines, as given by the department.
(2) Any individual while licensed and appointed as a managing general agent as defined in s. 626.015, or service representative as defined in s. 626.015, and who otherwise possesses all of the other qualifications of a general lines agent under this code, and who has a minimum of 1 year’s experience working for a licensed surplus lines agent or who has successfully completed 60 class hours in surplus and excess lines in a course approved by the department, may, upon taking and successfully passing a written examination as to surplus lines, as given by the department, be licensed as a surplus lines agent solely for the purpose of placing with surplus lines insurers property, marine, casualty, or surety coverages originated by general lines agents; except that no examination as for a general lines agent’s license shall be required of any managing general agent or service representative who held a Florida surplus lines agent’s license as of January 1, 1959.
(3) Application for the license shall be made to the department on forms as designated and furnished by it.
(4) License and appointment fees in the amount specified in s. 624.501 shall be paid to the department in advance. The license and appointment of a surplus lines agent continue in force until suspended, revoked, or otherwise terminated. The appointment of a surplus lines agent continues in force until suspended, revoked, or terminated, but is subject to biennial renewal or continuation by the licensee in accordance with procedures prescribed in s. 626.381 for agents in general.
(5) Examinations as to surplus lines, as required under subsections (1) and (2), are subject to the provisions of part I as applicable to applicants for licenses in general.
(6) An individual who has been licensed by the department as a surplus lines agent as provided in this section may be subsequently appointed without additional written examination if his or her application for appointment is filed with the department within 48 months after the date of cancellation or expiration of the prior appointment. The department may require an individual to take and successfully pass an examination as for original issuance of license as a condition precedent to the reinstatement or continuation of the licensee’s current license or reinstatement or continuation of the licensee’s appointment.
History.—s. 366, ch. 59-205; s. 6, ch. 63-86; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 307, 318, 807, ch. 82-243; ss. 173, 206, 207, ch. 90-363; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 304, ch. 97-102; s. 71, ch. 98-199; s. 20, ch. 2001-142; s. 40, ch. 2002-206; s. 48, ch. 2012-209.