Gaming is an established business sector in Florida; its roots stretch back to the 1890s. Recent rapid changes have transformed gaming industries, but laws and tax policies have not kept pace. During the 2012-2014 legislative term, the Gaming Committee was charged with conducting a comprehensive critical assessment and formulating an action plan.
Proposed Committee Bills
The Gaming Committee published three separate proposed committee bills. To download copies of the bills and the latest amendments and analyses, use the links below:
- SPB 7050: Gambling—A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the State Constitution that any additional gambling authorized by law will not take effect until a public ballot measure is approved by a majority of voters statewide
- SPB 7052: Gaming—A comprehensive act relating to gaming (see tracing charts (PDF) for linkages with current law provisions that were reorganized and rewritten)
- SPB 7054: Public Records/Gaming Control—Providing an exemption for proprietary confidential business information in specified applications
The Senate Gaming Committee assembled a variety of information resources, including:
- Spectrum's Gambling Impact Study (8 MB PDF, 708 pages), commissioned jointly by the Senate and House to set a factual foundation for important policy choices the Legislature will consider during the 2014 Regular Session.
- Online comments (2 MB PDF, 406 PAGES) and mail or email comments (11 MB PDF, 255 PAGES) submitted by members of the public in the autumn of 2013.
- Diverse testimony from public workshops across the state (handouts or comments delivered at a particular workshop are included among documents for the meeting). Meetings are listed below, together with links to documents and videos.
|October 7, 2013||Spectrum Gaming Group Panel||Meeting Packet (11 MB PDF, 788 pages)||2:56||6||0||0|
|October 23, 2013||Coconut Creek Workshop||Meeting Packet (3 MB PDF, 68 pages)||3:10||77||6||17|
|October 30, 2013||Lakeland Workshop||Meeting Packet (5 MB PDF, 98 pages)||2:43||59||4||7|
|November 4, 2013||Tallahassee Committee Meeting||Meeting Packet (2 MB PDF, 44 pages)||1:59||13||1||0|
|November 14, 2013||Pensacola Workshop||Meeting Packet (9 MB PDF, 99 pages)||2:12||36||4||10|
|November 15, 2013||Jacksonville Workshop||Meeting Packet (4 MB PDF, 65 pages)||2:18||49||4||6|
|December 9, 2013||Tallahassee Committee Meeting||Meeting Packet (4 MB PDF, 87 pages)||1:35||49||4||6|