CS/SB 2040: Enforcement of Immigration Laws
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary ; Judiciary
Enforcement of Immigration Laws; Requires one-stop career center staff to verify the employment eligibility of workers referred to employers using a federal program for electronic verification of employment eligibility. Requires notice to employers on the exception to use of electronic verification. Prohibits an agency from providing federal, state, or local public benefits to certain aliens. Requires an agency to verify the eligibility of applicants for public benefits using the federal Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program, etc.
Last Action: 5/7/2011 House - Died in Messages
Location: In messages from Senate
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Judiciary (JU)
• SPB 7066 submitted as a committee bill (SB 2040) by Judiciary
• Referred to Judiciary; Criminal Justice; Budget -SJ 273
• Introduced -SJ 273
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 04/04/11, 3:15 pm, 110 Senate Office Building
• CS by Judiciary; YEAS 5 NAYS 2 -SJ 408
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Original reference(s) removed: Criminal Justice
• Remaining references corrected to Budget -SJ 415
• Now in Budget
• CS by Judiciary read 1st time -SJ 413
• On Committee agenda-- Budget, 04/13/11, 1:30 pm, 412 Knott Building --Temporarily Postponed
• On Committee agenda-- Budget, 04/14/11, 1:30 pm, 412 Knott Building --Not Considered
• On Committee agenda-- Budget, 04/15/11, 1:30 pm, 412 Knott Building --Not Considered
• Withdrawn from Budget -SJ 605
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 05/02/11 -SJ 614
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 05/03/11
• Read 2nd time -SJ 738
• Amendment(s) adopted (730724) -SJ 738
• Ordered engrossed -SJ 742
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 790
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 23 NAYS 16 -SJ 790
• In Messages
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Messages
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.