CS/CS/SB 670: Nursing Home Litigation
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary ; Health Policy ; Thrasher
Nursing Home Litigation; Specifying that a cause of action for negligence or violation of residents’ rights alleging direct or vicarious liability for the injury or death of a nursing home resident may be brought against a licensee, its management or consulting company, its managing employees, and any direct caregiver employees or contractors; providing that a claim for punitive damages may not be brought unless there is a showing of evidence that provides a reasonable basis for recovery of such damages when certain criteria are applied; authorizing the Agency for Health Care Administration to revoke the license or deny a license renewal or change of ownership application of a nursing home facility that fails to pay a judgment or settlement agreement; revising procedures for obtaining the records of a resident, etc.
Last Action: 6/13/2014 - Chapter No. 2014-83
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Health Policy (HP)
- Judiciary (JU)
• Referred to Health Policy; Judiciary; Rules -SJ 55
• On Committee agenda-- Health Policy, 02/11/14, 2:00 pm, 412 Knott Building --Temporarily Postponed
• On Committee agenda-- Health Policy, 02/18/14, 2:00 pm, 412 Knott Building
• CS by Health Policy; YEAS 8 NAYS 1 -SJ 139
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Original reference(s) removed: Rules
• Remaining references corrected to Judiciary
• Now in Judiciary -SJ 139
• Introduced -SJ 55
• CS by Health Policy read 1st time -SJ 130
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 03/18/14, 8:00 am, 110 Senate Office Building
• CS/CS by- Judiciary; YEAS 8 NAYS 1 -SJ 305
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• CS/CS by Judiciary read 1st time -SJ 306
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 305
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/26/14
• Read 2nd time -SJ 333
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 388
• CS passed; YEAS 36 NAYS 3 -SJ 388
• In Messages
• Referred to Calendar -HJ 553
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/22/14
• Received -HJ 553
• Substituted for CS/CS/HB 569 -HJ 593
• Read 2nd time -HJ 593
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 605
• CS passed; YEAS 109 NAYS 7 -HJ 606
• Ordered enrolled -SJ 595
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2014-83
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.