CS/HB 697: Federal Immigration Enforcement
GENERAL BILL by Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee ; Metz ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Ahern ; Albritton ; Boyd ; Byrd ; Combee ; Drake ; Eagle ; Fine ; Fischer ; Fitzenhagen ; Gonzalez ; Grall ; Grant, M. ; Gruters ; Hager ; Hahnfeldt ; Harrell ; McClain ; Miller, A. ; Rommel ; Santiago ; White ; Yarborough
Federal Immigration Enforcement; Designates act "Rule of Law Adherence Act"; prohibits sanctuary policies; requires state & local governmental agencies to comply with & support enforcement of federal immigration law; provides requirements concerning immigration detainers & certain arrested persons; prohibits restrictions on transfer of certain information related to enforcement of immigration law; authorizes law enforcement agency to transport unauthorized alien; authorizes ordinances for recovery immigration detainer costs; provides whistle-blower protections for certain officials; requires AG to prescribe format for complaints; provides injunctive relief & civil penalties; prohibits expenditure of public funds for specified purposes; provides cause of action for personal injury or wrongful death attributed to sanctuary policy; prohibits discrimination on specified grounds; provides for implementation; requires repeal of existing sanctuary policies.
Last Action: 3/24/2017 House - Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 458
Location: In committee/council (JDC)
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 83
• Introduced -HJ 83
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee, 03/13/17, 1:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; YEAS 9 NAYS 5 -HJ 361
• Now in Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee -HJ 361
• On Committee agenda-- Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee, 03/21/17, 12:30 pm, 12 HOB
• CS by Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee; YEAS 9 NAYS 5 -HJ 429
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Local, Federal and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 416
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 458
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.