CS/CS/HB 1439: Bank Property of Deceased Account Holders
GENERAL BILL by Commerce Committee ; Insurance and Banking Subcommittee ; Yarborough
Bank Property of Deceased Account Holders; Authorizes financial institution to pay funds on deposit in certain accounts to specified family member of decedent without court proceeding, order, or judgment; requires family member to provide certified copy of decedent's death certificate & specified affidavit to receive funds; specifies that person does not have right or cause of action against financial institution for taking or failing to take certain actions; provides liability for family member who withdraws funds; authorizes financial institution to provide copies of affidavit to certain persons; provides that specified types of personal property are not subject to probate administration or formal proceedings; requires certain actions relating to decedent's creditors; provides bona fide purchasers protection from specified claims of creditors & from rights of spouses, beneficiaries, & heirs of decedents; provides limitation on liability of decedent's estate & recipients of estate.
Last Action: 2/20/2020 House - Placed on Special Order Calendar, 02/26/20
Bill Text: PDF
• Introduced -HJ 128
• Referred to Insurance and Banking Subcommittee; Civil Justice Subcommittee; Commerce Committee -HJ 402
• On Committee agenda-- Insurance and Banking Subcommittee, 01/28/20, 3:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS by Insurance and Banking Subcommittee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 472
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c) -HJ 472
• CS by Insurance and Banking Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 470
• Original reference(s) removed: Civil Justice Subcommittee
• CS referred to Commerce Committee -HJ 476
• Now in Commerce Committee -HJ 476
• On Committee agenda-- Commerce Committee, 02/13/20, 9:00 am, Webster Hall
• CS/CS by- Commerce Committee; YEAS 20 NAYS 0 -HJ 585
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 584
• CS/CS by Commerce Committee read 1st time -HJ 584
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 02/26/20
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.