2007 Florida Statutes
Indigent defense costs.
29.006 Indigent defense costs.--For purposes of implementing s. 14, Art. V of the State Constitution, the elements of the public defenders' offices and criminal conflict and civil regional counsel offices to be provided from state revenues appropriated by general law are as follows:
(1)(a) The public defender of each judicial circuit and assistant public defenders and other staff as determined by general law.
(b) The regional counsel of each judicial district, the assistant regional counsel, and other staff as determined by general law.
(2) Reasonable court reporting and transcription services necessary to meet constitutional or statutory requirements, including the cost of transcribing and copying depositions of witnesses and the cost of foreign language and sign-language interpreters and translators.
(3) Witnesses, including expert witnesses, summoned to appear for an investigation, preliminary hearing, or trial in a case when the witnesses are summoned on behalf of an indigent defendant, and any other expert witnesses required in a court hearing by law or whomever the public defender or regional counsel deems necessary for the performance of his or her duties.
(4) Mental health professionals appointed pursuant to s. 394.473 and required in a court hearing involving an indigent, and mental health professionals appointed pursuant to s. 916.115(2) and required in a court hearing involving an indigent.
(5) Reasonable transportation services in the performance of constitutional and statutory responsibilities. Motor vehicles owned by counties and provided exclusively to public defenders as of July 1, 2003, and any additional vehicles owned by the counties and provided exclusively to public defenders during fiscal year 2003-2004 shall be transferred by title to the state effective July 1, 2004.
(6) Travel expenses reimbursable under s. 112.061 reasonably necessary in the performance of constitutional and statutory responsibilities.
(7) Reasonable library and electronic legal research services, other than a public law library.
(8) Reasonable pretrial consultation fees and costs.
History.--s. 6, ch. 2000-237; s. 42, ch. 2003-402; s. 27, ch. 2004-265; s. 17, ch. 2007-62.