2007 Florida Statutes
Stolen regulated metals property; petition for return.
538.24 Stolen regulated metals property; petition for return.--
(1) If the secondary metals recycler contests the identification or ownership of the regulated metals property, the party other than the secondary metals recycler claiming ownership of any stolen goods in the possession of a secondary metals recycler may, provided that a timely report of the theft of the regulated metals property was made to the proper authorities, bring an action for replevin in the county or circuit court by petition in substantially the following form:
Plaintiff A. B. sues defendant C. D., and alleges:
1. This is an action to recover possession of personal property in _______________ County, Florida.
2. The description of the property is: (list property) . To the best of plaintiff's knowledge, information, and belief, the value of the property is $__________.
3. Plaintiff is the lawful owner of the property and can identify the property as belonging to the plaintiff in the following manner: (explain basis of identification) .
4. Plaintiff is entitled to the possession of the property under a security agreement dated _______________, (year) , a copy of which is attached.
5. To the plaintiff's best knowledge, information, and belief, the property is located at _________________________.
6. The property is wrongfully detained by defendant. Defendant came into possession of the property by (describe method of possession) . To plaintiff's best knowledge, information, and belief, defendant detains the property because (give reasons) .
7. The property has not been taken under an execution or attachment against plaintiff's property.
(2) The filing fees shall be waived by the clerk of the court and the service fee shall be waived by the sheriff. The court may award the prevailing party reasonable attorney's fees and costs.
(3) Upon the filing of the petition, the court shall set a hearing to be held at the earliest possible time. Upon the receipt by a secondary metals recycler of a petition for return, the secondary metals recycler shall hold, and shall not process or otherwise alter, the regulated metals property at issue, or any portion thereof, until the court determines the respective interests of the parties.
History.--s. 2, ch. 89-533; s. 1, ch. 90-192; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 25, ch. 99-6.