2012 Florida Statutes
721.52 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “Applicable law” means the law of the jurisdiction where the accommodations and facilities referred to are located.
(2) “Component site” means a specific geographic site where a portion of the accommodations and facilities of the multisite timeshare plan are located. If permitted under applicable law, separate phases operated as a single development located at a specific geographic site under common management shall be deemed a single component site for purposes of this part.
(3) “Inventory” means the accommodations and facilities located at a particular component site or sites owned, leased, licensed, or otherwise acquired for use by a developer and offered as part of the multisite timeshare plan.
(4) “Multisite timeshare plan” means any method, arrangement, or procedure with respect to which a purchaser obtains, by any means, a recurring right to use and occupy accommodations or facilities of more than one component site, only through use of a reservation system, whether or not the purchaser is able to elect to cease participating in the plan. However, the term “multisite timeshare plan” shall not include any method, arrangement, or procedure wherein:
(a) The contractually specified maximum total financial obligation on the purchaser’s part is $3,000 or less, during the entire term of the plan; or
(b) The term is for a period of 3 years or less, regardless of the purchaser’s contractually specified maximum total financial obligation, if any. For purposes of determining the term of such use and occupancy rights, the period of any optional renewals which a purchaser, in his or her sole discretion, may elect to exercise, whether or not for additional consideration, shall not be included. For purposes of determining the term of such use and occupancy rights, the period of any automatic renewals shall be included unless a purchaser has the right to terminate the membership at any time and receive a pro rata refund or the purchaser receives a notice no less than 30 days and no more than 60 days prior to the date of renewal informing the purchaser of the right to terminate at any time prior to the date of automatic renewal.
(5) “Nonspecific multisite timeshare plan” means a multisite timeshare plan containing timeshare licenses or personal property timeshare interests, with respect to which a purchaser receives a right to use all of the accommodations and facilities, if any, of the multisite timeshare plan through the reservation system, but no specific right to use any particular accommodations and facilities for the remaining term of the multisite timeshare plan in the event that the reservation system is terminated for any reason prior to the expiration of the term of the multisite timeshare plan.
(6) “Reservation system” means the method, arrangement, or procedure by which a purchaser, in order to reserve the use and occupancy of any accommodation or facility of the multisite timeshare plan for one or more use periods, is required to compete with other purchasers in the same multisite timeshare plan regardless of whether such reservation system is operated and maintained by the multisite timeshare plan managing entity, an exchange company, or any other person. In the event that a purchaser is required to use an exchange program as the purchaser’s principal means of obtaining the right to use and occupy a multisite timeshare plan’s accommodations and facilities, such arrangement shall be deemed a reservation system. When an exchange company utilizes a mechanism for the exchange of use of timeshare periods among members of an exchange program, such utilization is not a reservation system of a multisite timeshare plan.
(7) “Specific multisite timeshare plan” means a multisite timeshare plan containing timeshare licenses or personal property timeshare interests, with respect to which a purchaser receives a specific right to use accommodations and facilities, if any, at one component site of a multisite timeshare plan, together with use rights in the other accommodations and facilities of the multisite timeshare plan created by or acquired through the reservation system.
(8) “Vacation club” means a multisite timeshare plan. However, notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the use of the term “vacation club” by a person or entity as part of a company, brand, or product name shall not, in and of itself, subject the person, entity, or product being offered to the provisions of this part unless the product offered otherwise meets the definition of a “multisite timeshare plan” as defined in subsection (4).
History.—s. 12, ch. 93-58; s. 19, ch. 95-274; s. 906, ch. 97-102; s. 35, ch. 2000-302; s. 22, ch. 2004-279; s. 10, ch. 2007-75.