2017 Florida Statutes
Prize and gift promotional offers.
Prize and gift promotional offers.
721.111 Prize and gift promotional offers.—
(1) As used herein, the term “prize and gift promotional offer” means any advertising material wherein a prospective purchaser may receive goods or services other than the timeshare plan itself, either free or at a discount, including, but not limited to, the use of any prize, gift, award, premium, or lodging or vacation certificate.
(2) A game promotion, such as a contest of chance, gift enterprise, or sweepstakes, in which the elements of chance and prize are present may not be used in connection with the offering or sale of timeshare interests, except for drawings, as that term is defined in s. 849.0935(1)(a), in which no more than 26 prizes are promoted and in which all promoted prizes are actually awarded. All such drawings must meet all requirements of this chapter and of ss. 849.092 and 849.094(1), (2), and (7).
(3) Any prize, gift, or other item offered pursuant to a prize and gift promotional offer must be delivered to the prospective purchaser on the day she or he appears to claim it, whether or not she or he purchases a timeshare interest.
(4) A separate filing for each prize and gift promotional offer to be used in the sale of timeshare interests shall be made with the division pursuant to s. 721.11(1). The developer shall pay a $100 filing fee for each prize and gift promotional offer. One item of each prize or gift, except cash, must be made available for inspection by the division.
(5) Each filing of a prize and gift promotional offer with the division shall include, when applicable:
(a) A copy of all advertising material to be used in connection with the prize and gift promotional offer.
(b) The name, address, and telephone number (including area code) of the supplier or manufacturer from whom each type or variety of prize, gift, or other item is obtained.
(c) The manufacturer’s model number or other description of such item.
(d) The information on which the developer relies in determining the verifiable retail value, if the value is in excess of $50.
(e) The name, address, and telephone number (including area code) of the promotional entity responsible for overseeing and operating the prize and gift promotional offer.
(f) The name and address of the registered agent in this state of the promotional entity for service of process purposes.
(g) Full disclosure of all pertinent information concerning the use of lodging or vacation certificates, including the terms and conditions of the campaign and the fact and extent of participation in such campaign by the developer. The developer shall provide to the division, upon the request of the division, an affidavit, certification, or other reasonable evidence that the obligation incurred by a seller or the seller’s agent in a lodging certificate program can be met.
(6) All advertising material to be distributed in connection with a prize and gift promotional offer shall contain, in addition to the information required pursuant to the provisions of s. 721.11, the following disclosures:
(a) A description of the prize, gift, or other item that the prospective purchaser will actually receive, including, if the price is in excess of $50, the manufacturer’s suggested retail price or, if none is available, the verifiable retail value. If the value is $50 or less, the description shall contain a statement of such.
(b) All rules, terms, requirements, and preconditions which must be fulfilled or met before a prospective purchaser may claim any prize, gift, or other item involved in the prize and gift promotional plan, including whether the prospective purchaser is required to attend a sales presentation in order to receive the prize, gift, or other item.
(c) The date upon which the offer expires.
(d) If the number of prizes, gifts, or other items to be awarded is limited, a statement of the number of items that will be awarded.
(e) The method by which prizes, gifts, or other items are to be awarded.
(7) All prizes, gifts, or other items represented by the developer to be awarded in connection with any prize and gift promotional offer shall be awarded by the date referenced in the advertising material used in connection with such offer.
History.—s. 11, ch. 83-264; s. 3, ch. 87-343; s. 8, ch. 91-236; s. 897, ch. 97-102; s. 18, ch. 2000-302; s. 1, ch. 2002-87.