CS/CS/SB 718: Family Law
GENERAL BILL by Rules ; Judiciary ; Stargel ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Grimsley ; Richter ; Thrasher ; Soto ; Altman
Family Law; Redefining the term “marital assets and liabilities” for purposes of equitable distribution in dissolution of marriage actions; providing for the priority of bridge-the-gap alimony, followed by rehabilitative alimony, over any other form; providing for retirement of a party against whom alimony is sought; providing that income and assets of obligor’s subsequent spouse or person with whom the obligor is residing are generally not relevant to modification, etc.
Last Action: 5/2/2014 Senate - Veto Message transmitted to Secretary of State
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Judiciary (JU)
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to Judiciary; Children, Families, and Elder Affairs; Rules -SJ 52
• Introduced -SJ 52
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 03/12/13, 2:00 pm, 110 Senate Office Building
• CS by Judiciary; YEAS 8 NAYS 1 -SJ 209
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Original reference(s) removed: Children, Families, and Elder Affairs
• Remaining references corrected to Rules -SJ 219
• Now in Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 03/21/13, 8:00 am, 110 Senate Office Building
• CS by Judiciary read 1st time -SJ 214
• CS/CS by- Rules; YEAS 12 NAYS 2 -SJ 241
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 241
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/27/13
• CS/CS by Rules read 1st time -SJ 248
• Read 2nd time -SJ 271
• Amendment(s) adopted (203644, 213372, 279768, 349320, 687286, 768170, 845072) -SJ 271
• Amendment(s) failed (758408) -SJ 271
• Ordered engrossed -SJ 272
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 310
• Amendment(s) adopted (273702, 586074, 633350, 669750, 707718, 760682, 840834, 858090) -SJ 311
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 29 NAYS 11 -SJ 311
• In Messages
• Referred to Calendar -HJ 617
• Received -HJ 616
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/17/13
• Substituted for CS/CS/HB 231 -HJ 657
• Read 2nd time -HJ 657
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 674
• CS passed; YEAS 85 NAYS 31 -HJ 674
• Ordered enrolled -SJ 591
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor -SJ 591
• Vetoed by Governor
• Veto Message received (2013 Regular Session) -SJ 1050
• Veto Message referred to Rules
• Veto Message transmitted to Secretary of State
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.