2005 Florida Statutes
Surplus lines tax.
626.932 Surplus lines tax.--
(1) The premiums charged for surplus lines coverages are subject to a premium receipts tax of 5 percent of all gross premiums charged for such insurance. The surplus lines agent shall collect from the insured the amount of the tax at the time of the delivery of the cover note, certificate of insurance, policy, or other initial confirmation of insurance, in addition to the full amount of the gross premium charged by the insurer for the insurance. The surplus lines agent is prohibited from absorbing such tax or, as an inducement for insurance or for any other reason, rebating all or any part of such tax or of his or her commission.
(2)(a) The surplus lines agent shall make payable to the department the tax related to each calendar quarter's business as reported to the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office, and remit the tax to the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office at the same time as provided for the filing of the quarterly affidavit, under s. 626.931 The Florida Surplus Lines Service Office shall forward to the department the taxes and any interest collected pursuant to paragraph (b), within 10 days of receipt.
(b) The agent shall pay interest on the amount of any delinquent tax due, at the rate of 9 percent per year, compounded annually, beginning the day the amount becomes delinquent.
(3) If a surplus lines policy covers risks or exposures only partially in this state, the tax payable shall be computed on the portion of the premium which is properly allocable to the risks or exposures located in this state.
(4) This section does not apply as to insurance of, or with respect to, vessels, cargo, or aircraft written under s. 626.917, or as to insurance of risks of the state government or its agencies, or of any county or municipality or of any agency thereof.
(5) The department shall deposit 24.3 percent of all taxes collected under this section to the credit of the Insurance Regulatory Trust Fund. Seventy-five and seven-tenths percent of all taxes collected under this section shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(6) For the purposes of this section, the term "premium" means the consideration for insurance by whatever name called and includes any assessment, or any membership, policy, survey, inspection, service, or similar fee or charge in consideration for an insurance contract, which items are deemed to be a part of the premium. The per-policy fee authorized by s. 626.916(4) is specifically included within the meaning of the term "premium." However, the service fee imposed pursuant to s. 626.9325 is excluded from the meaning of the term "premium."
History.--s. 371, ch. 59-205; s. 15, ch. 65-269; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 318, 807, ch. 82-243; s. 46, ch. 90-132; ss. 178, 206, 207, ch. 90-363; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 32, ch. 92-146; s. 309, ch. 97-102; s. 5, ch. 97-196; s. 7, ch. 2001-213; s. 1022, ch. 2003-261; s. 8, ch. 2003-395.