2009 Florida Statutes
538.18 Definitions.--As used in this part, the term:
(1) "Ferrous metals" means any metals containing significant quantities of iron or steel.
(2) "Fixed location" means any site occupied by a secondary metals recycler as owner of the site or as lessee of the site under a lease or other rental agreement providing for occupation of the site by the secondary metals recycler for a total duration of not less than 364 days.
(3) "Money" means a medium of exchange authorized or adopted by a domestic or foreign government as part of its currency.
(4) "Nonferrous metals" means metals not containing significant quantities of iron or steel, including, without limitation, copper, brass, aluminum, bronze, lead, zinc, nickel, and alloys thereof, excluding precious metals subject to regulation under part I.
(5) "Personal identification card" means any government-issued photographic identification card.
(6) "Purchase transaction" means a transaction in which a secondary metals recycler gives consideration for regulated metals property.
(7) "Regulated metals property" means any item composed primarily of any nonferrous metals, but shall not include aluminum beverage containers, used beverage containers, or similar beverage containers. The term shall include stainless steel beer kegs.
(8) "Secondary metals recycler" means any person who:
(a) Is engaged, from a fixed location or otherwise, in the business of gathering or obtaining ferrous or nonferrous metals that have served their original economic purpose or is in the business of performing the manufacturing process by which ferrous metals or nonferrous metals are converted into raw material products consisting of prepared grades and having an existing or potential economic value; or
(b) Has facilities for performing the manufacturing process by which ferrous metals or nonferrous metals are converted into raw material products consisting of prepared grades and having an existing or potential economic value, other than by the exclusive use of hand tools, by methods including, without limitation, processing, sorting, cutting, classifying, cleaning, baling, wrapping, shredding, shearing, or changing the physical form or chemical content thereof.
(9) "Department" means the Department of Revenue.
History.--s. 2, ch. 89-533; s. 1, ch. 90-192; s. 6, ch. 90-318; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 94, ch. 2004-5; s. 1, ch. 2008-69.