- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2016 Florida Statutes
464.003 Definitions.—As used in this part, the term:
(1) “Accredited program” means a program for the prelicensure education of professional or practical nurses that is conducted in the United States at an educational institution, whether in this state, another state, or the District of Columbia, and that is accredited by a specialized nursing accrediting agency that is nationally recognized by the United States Secretary of Education to accredit nursing education programs.
(2) “Advanced or specialized nursing practice” means, in addition to the practice of professional nursing, the performance of advanced-level nursing acts approved by the board which, by virtue of postbasic specialized education, training, and experience, are appropriately performed by an advanced registered nurse practitioner. Within the context of advanced or specialized nursing practice, the advanced registered nurse practitioner may perform acts of nursing diagnosis and nursing treatment of alterations of the health status. The advanced registered nurse practitioner may also perform acts of medical diagnosis and treatment, prescription, and operation as authorized within the framework of an established supervisory protocol. The department may, by rule, require that a copy of the protocol be filed with the department along with the notice required by s. 458.348.
(3) “Advanced registered nurse practitioner” means any person licensed in this state to practice professional nursing and certified in advanced or specialized nursing practice, including certified registered nurse anesthetists, certified nurse midwives, and nurse practitioners.
(4) “Approved program” means a program for the prelicensure education of professional or practical nurses that is conducted in the state at an educational institution and that is approved under s. 464.019. The term includes such a program placed on probationary status.
(5) “Board” means the Board of Nursing.
(6) “Clinical nurse specialist” means any person licensed in this state to practice professional nursing and certified in clinical nurse specialist practice.
(7) “Clinical nurse specialist practice” means the delivery and management of advanced practice nursing care to individuals or groups, including the ability to:
(a) Assess the health status of individuals and families using methods appropriate to the population and area of practice.
(b) Diagnose human responses to actual or potential health problems.
(c) Plan for health promotion, disease prevention, and therapeutic intervention in collaboration with the patient or client.
(d) Implement therapeutic interventions based on the nurse specialist’s area of expertise and within the scope of advanced nursing practice, including, but not limited to, direct nursing care, counseling, teaching, and collaboration with other licensed health care providers.
(e) Coordinate health care as necessary and appropriate and evaluate with the patient or client the effectiveness of care.
(8) “Clinical preceptor” means a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse who is employed by a clinical training facility to serve as a role model and clinical resource person for a specified period to students enrolled in an approved program.
(9) “Clinical simulation” means a strategy used to replicate clinical practice as closely as possible to teach theory, assessment, technology, pharmacology, and skills.
(10) “Clinical training” means direct nursing care experiences with patients or clients, or clinical simulation of such experiences, which offer the student the opportunity to integrate, apply, and refine specific skills and abilities based on theoretical concepts and scientific principles.
(11) “Community-based clinical experience” means activities consistent with the curriculum and involving individuals, families, and groups with the intent of promoting wellness, maintaining health, and preventing illness.
(12) “Curriculum” means a planned sequence of course offerings and learning experiences that comprise a nursing education program.
(13) “Department” means the Department of Health.
(14) “Educational institution” means a school, college, or university.
(15) “Graduate passage rate” means the percentage of a program’s graduates who, as first-time test takers, pass the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Licensing Examination during a calendar year, as calculated by the contract testing service of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.
1(16) “Licensed practical nurse” means any person licensed in this state to practice practical nursing.
(17) “Nursing diagnosis” means the observation and evaluation of physical or mental conditions, behaviors, signs and symptoms of illness, and reactions to treatment and the determination as to whether such conditions, signs, symptoms, and reactions represent a deviation from normal.
(18) “Nursing treatment” means the establishment and implementation of a nursing regimen for the care and comfort of individuals, the prevention of illness, and the education, restoration, and maintenance of health.
(19) “Practice of practical nursing” means the performance of selected acts, including the administration of treatments and medications, in the care of the ill, injured, or infirm; the promotion of wellness, maintenance of health, and prevention of illness of others under the direction of a registered nurse, a licensed physician, a licensed osteopathic physician, a licensed podiatric physician, or a licensed dentist; and the teaching of general principles of health and wellness to the public and to students other than nursing students. A practical nurse is responsible and accountable for making decisions that are based upon the individual’s educational preparation and experience in nursing.
(20) “Practice of professional nursing” means the performance of those acts requiring substantial specialized knowledge, judgment, and nursing skill based upon applied principles of psychological, biological, physical, and social sciences which shall include, but not be limited to:
(a) The observation, assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, intervention, and evaluation of care; health teaching and counseling of the ill, injured, or infirm; and the promotion of wellness, maintenance of health, and prevention of illness of others.
(b) The administration of medications and treatments as prescribed or authorized by a duly licensed practitioner authorized by the laws of this state to prescribe such medications and treatments.
(c) The supervision and teaching of other personnel in the theory and performance of any of the acts described in this subsection.
A professional nurse is responsible and accountable for making decisions that are based upon the individual’s educational preparation and experience in nursing.
(21) “Probationary status” means the status of an approved program that is placed on such status pursuant to s. 464.019.
1(22) “Registered nurse” means any person licensed in this state to practice professional nursing.
(23) “Required passage rate” means the graduate passage rate required for an approved program pursuant to s. 464.019(5)(a).
History.—ss. 1, 6, ch. 79-225; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 3, 4, ch. 82-32; ss. 3, 17, 18, ch. 86-284; s. 18, ch. 88-392; s. 58, ch. 91-137; s. 5, ch. 91-156; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 121, ch. 94-218; s. 1, ch. 96-274; s. 76, ch. 97-264; s. 210, ch. 98-166; s. 121, ch. 2000-318; s. 1, ch. 2007-167; s. 82, ch. 2008-6; s. 1, ch. 2009-168; s. 2, ch. 2010-37; s. 1, ch. 2014-92; s. 3, ch. 2016-139; s. 11, ch. 2016-224.
1Note.—Section 3, ch. 2016-139, amended subsections (16) and (22), effective “December 31, 2018, or upon enactment of the Nurse Licensure Compact into law by 26 states, whichever occurs first.” When s. 3, ch. 2016-139, takes effect, subsections (16) and (22) will read:
(16) “Licensed practical nurse” means any person licensed in this state or holding an active multistate license under s. 464.0095 to practice practical nursing.
* * * * *
(22) “Registered nurse” means any person licensed in this state or holding an active multistate license under s. 464.0095 to practice professional nursing.