The purpose of the authority is to assist institutions of higher education in constructing, financing, and refinancing projects throughout the state and, for this purpose, the authority may:
(1) Exercise all powers granted to corporations under part I of chapter 607.
(2) Have perpetual succession as a body politic and corporate and adopt bylaws for the regulation of its affairs and the conduct of its business.
(3) Adopt an official seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
(4) Maintain an office at any place in the state that it may designate.
(5) Sue and be sued in its own name, and plead and be impleaded.
(6) Make and execute financing agreements, leases, as lessee or as lessor, contracts, deeds, and other instruments necessary or convenient in the exercise of the powers and functions of the authority, including contracts with persons, firms, corporations, federal and state agencies, and other authorities, which state agencies and other authorities are authorized to enter into contracts and otherwise cooperate with the authority to facilitate the financing, construction, leasing, or sale of any project or the institution of any program; engage in sale-leaseback, lease-purchase, lease-leaseback, or other undertakings and provide for the sale of certificates of participation incident thereto; and enter into interlocal agreements in the manner provided in s. 163.01.
(7) Determine the location and character of any project to be financed under ss. 243.50-243.77 and may:
(a) Construct, reconstruct, maintain, repair, and lease the project as lessee or lessor.
(b) Enter into contracts for any of those purposes.
(c) Designate a participating institution as its agent to determine the location and character of a project undertaken by a participating institution under ss. 243.50-243.77 and, as the agent of the authority, construct, reconstruct, maintain, repair, own, and lease the project as lessee or lessor.
(8) Issue bonds, bond anticipation notes, and other obligations of the authority for any of its corporate purposes, including the provision of funds to pay all or any part of the cost of any project and to fund or refund the cost of any project as provided in ss. 243.50-243.77.
(9) Establish rules for the use of a project or any portion thereof and designate a participating institution as its agent to establish rules for the use of a project undertaken by the participating institution.
(10) Employ consulting engineers, architects, attorneys, accountants, construction and financial experts, superintendents, managers, and other employees and agents as necessary, and fix their compensation.
(11) Receive and accept from any public agency loans or grants for or in aid of the construction of a project or any portion thereof, and receive and accept loans, grants, aid, or contributions from any source of money, property, labor, or other things of value, to be held, used, and applied only for the purposes for which the loans, grants, aid, and contributions are made.
(12) Mortgage any project and the site thereof for the benefit of the holders of revenue bonds issued to finance projects or those providing credit for that purpose.
(13) Make loans to any participating institution for the cost of a project, including a loan in anticipation of tuition revenues, in accordance with an agreement between the authority and the participating institution. However, a loan may not exceed the total cost of the project as determined by the participating institution and approved by the authority.
(14) Make loans to a participating institution to refund outstanding obligations, mortgages, or advances issued, made, or given by the participating institution for the cost of a project.
(15) Charge to and equitably apportion among participating institutions its administrative costs and expenses incurred in the exercise of the powers and duties conferred by ss. 243.50-243.77.
(16) Contract with an entity as its agent to assist the authority in screening applications of institutions of higher education for loans under ss. 243.50-243.77 and receive any recommendations the entity may make.
(17) Do all things necessary or convenient to carry out the purposes of ss. 243.50-243.77.