HB 175: Housing Discrimination
GENERAL BILL by Davis ; Smith, D. ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Bush ; Cortes ; Eskamani ; Hogan Johnson ; Joseph ; Mercado ; Polo ; Slosberg
Housing Discrimination; Removes housing discrimination as cause of action for relief & damages stemming from violations of Florida Civil Rights Act of 1992; revises timeframe & conditions under which aggrieved person may commence civil action to enforce specified rights; authorizes, rather than requires, civil action after alleged discriminatory housing practice; authorizes civil action regardless of certain circumstances; prohibits aggrieved person from filing specified action in certain circumstances; provides exception.
Last Action: 3/10/2020 House - Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see SB 374 (Ch. 2020-164) -HJ 1070
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 20
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 11/14/19, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 297
• Now in Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 297
• Introduced -HJ 20
• On Committee agenda-- Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee, 01/28/20, 12:00 pm, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Government Operations and Technology Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 0 -HJ 448
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 448
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/26/20, 8:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 14 NAYS 0 -HJ 677
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 677
• Laid on Table, companion bill(s) passed, see SB 374 (Ch. 2020-164) -HJ 1070
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.