SB 1220: Defamation and Related Actions
Defamation and Related Actions; Specifying that the professional journalist’s privilege does not apply to defamation or related actions; specifying that the publication of an altered or unaltered photograph, video, or audio recording may form the basis of a defamation action; specifying that a defamatory allegation is made with actual malice for purposes of a defamation action under certain circumstances; providing that the negligence standard applies in a defamation action in which the defendant does not identify the source for a defamatory statement, etc.
• Referred to Judiciary; Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 03/21/23, 2:30 pm, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by Judiciary; YEAS 8 NAYS 3
• Now in Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/05/23, 11:00 am, 412 Knott Building --Temporarily Postponed
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/11/23, 8:30 am, 412 Knott Building --Temporarily Postponed
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/19/23, 8:30 am, 412 Knott Building --Temporarily Postponed
• Died in Rules
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.