2004 Florida Statutes
Diversion program to strengthen Florida's families.
(1) The diversion program to strengthen families in this state is intended to provide services that assist families in avoiding welfare dependency by gaining and retaining employment.
(2) Before finding a family eligible for the diversion program created under this section, a determination must be made that:
(a) The family includes a pregnant woman or a parent with one or more minor children or a caretaker relative with one or more minor children.
(b) The family is at risk of welfare dependency because the family's income does not exceed 200 percent of the federal poverty level.
(c) The provision of services related to employment, including assessment, service planning and coordination, job placement, employment-related education or training, child care services, transportation services, relocation services, workplace employment support services, individual or family counseling, or a Retention Incentive Training Account (RITA), are likely to prevent the family from becoming dependent on welfare by enabling employable adults in the family to become employed, remain employed, or pursue career advancement.
(3) The services provided under this section are not considered assistance under federal law or guidelines.
(4) Each family that receives services under this section must sign an agreement not to apply for temporary cash assistance for 6 months following the receipt of services, unless an unanticipated emergency situation arises. If a family applies for temporary cash assistance without a documented emergency, the family must repay the value of the diversion services provided. Repayment may be prorated over 8 months and shall be paid through a reduction in the amount of any monthly temporary cash assistance payment received by the family.
(5) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary, a family that meets the requirements of subsection (2) is considered a needy family and is eligible for services under this section.
History.--s. 18, ch. 2000-165.