- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2005 Florida Statutes
Meetings; notice; required reports.
189.417 Meetings; notice; required reports.--
(1) The governing body of each special district shall file quarterly, semiannually, or annually a schedule of its regular meetings with the local governing authority or authorities. The schedule shall include the date, time, and location of each scheduled meeting. The schedule shall be published quarterly, semiannually, or annually in a newspaper of general paid circulation in the manner required in this subsection. The governing body of an independent special district shall advertise the day, time, place, and purpose of any meeting other than a regular meeting or any recessed and reconvened meeting of the governing body, at least 7 days prior to such meeting, in a newspaper of general paid circulation in the county or counties in which the special district is located, unless a bona fide emergency situation exists, in which case a meeting to deal with the emergency may be held as necessary, with reasonable notice, so long as it is subsequently ratified by the board. No approval of the annual budget shall be granted at an emergency meeting. The advertisement shall be placed in that portion of the newspaper where legal notices and classified advertisements appear. The advertisement shall appear in a newspaper that is published at least 5 days a week, unless the only newspaper in the county is published fewer than 5 days a week. The newspaper selected must be one of general interest and readership in the community and not one of limited subject matter, pursuant to chapter 50. Any other provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, and except in the case of emergency meetings, water management districts may provide reasonable notice of public meetings held to evaluate responses to solicitations issued by the water management district, by publication in a newspaper of general paid circulation in the county where the principal office of the water management district is located, or in the county or counties where the public work will be performed, no less than 7 days before such meeting.
(2) All meetings of the governing body of the special district shall be open to the public and governed by the provisions of chapter 286.
(3) Meetings of the governing body of the special district shall be held in a public building when available within the district, in a county courthouse of a county in which the district is located, or in a building in the county accessible to the public.
History.--s. 10, ch. 79-183; s. 78, ch. 81-259; s. 24, ch. 89-169; s. 19, ch. 97-255; s. 33, ch. 99-378.
Note.--Former s. 189.005.