2007 Florida Statutes
288.703 Definitions.--As used in this act, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings unless the content shall indicate another meaning or intent:
(1) "Small business" means an independently owned and operated business concern that employs 200 or fewer permanent full-time employees and that, together with its affiliates, has a net worth of not more than $5 million or any firm based in this state which has a Small Business Administration 8(a) certification. As applicable to sole proprietorships, the $5 million net worth requirement shall include both personal and business investments.
(2) "Minority business enterprise" means any small business concern as defined in subsection (1) which is organized to engage in commercial transactions, which is domiciled in Florida, and which is at least 51-percent-owned by minority persons who are members of an insular group that is of a particular racial, ethnic, or gender makeup or national origin, which has been subjected historically to disparate treatment due to identification in and with that group resulting in an underrepresentation of commercial enterprises under the group's control, and whose management and daily operations are controlled by such persons. A minority business enterprise may primarily involve the practice of a profession. Ownership by a minority person does not include ownership which is the result of a transfer from a nonminority person to a minority person within a related immediate family group if the combined total net asset value of all members of such family group exceeds $1 million. For purposes of this subsection, the term "related immediate family group" means one or more children under 16 years of age and a parent of such children or the spouse of such parent residing in the same house or living unit.
(3) "Minority person" means a lawful, permanent resident of Florida who is:
(a) An African American, a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of the African Diaspora, regardless of cultural origin.
(b) A Hispanic American, a person of Spanish or Portuguese culture with origins in Spain, Portugal, Mexico, South America, Central America, or the Caribbean, regardless of race.
(c) An Asian American, a person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent, or the Pacific Islands, including the Hawaiian Islands prior to 1778.
(d) A Native American, a person who has origins in any of the Indian Tribes of North America prior to 1835, upon presentation of proper documentation thereof as established by rule of the Department of Management Services.
(e) An American woman.
(4) "Certified minority business enterprise" means a business which has been certified by the certifying organization or jurisdiction in accordance with s. 287.0943(1) and (2).
(5) "Department" means the Department of Management Services.
(6) "Ombudsman" means an office or individual whose responsibilities include coordinating with the Office of Supplier Diversity for the interests of and providing assistance to small and minority business enterprises in dealing with governmental agencies and in developing proposals for changes in state agency rules.
(7) "Financial institution" means any bank, trust company, insurance company, savings and loan association, credit union, federal lending agency, or foundation.
(8) "Secretary" means the secretary of the Department of Management Services.
History.--s. 2, ch. 85-104; s. 14, ch. 91-162; s. 275, ch. 92-279; s. 55, ch. 92-326; s. 18, ch. 93-187; s. 22, ch. 94-322; s. 59, ch. 96-320; s. 2, ch. 98-295; s. 5, ch. 2000-286; s. 3, ch. 2007-157.