- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2014 Florida Statutes
1012.35 Substitute teachers.—
(1) Each district school board shall adopt rules prescribing the compensation of, and the procedure for employment of, substitute teachers.
(a) The procedure for employment must include, but is not limited to, the filing of a complete set of fingerprints as required in s. 1012.32; documentation of a minimum education level of a high school diploma or equivalent; and completion of an initial orientation and training program in district policies and procedures addressing school safety and security procedures, educational liability laws, professional responsibilities, and ethics.
(b) Candidates who have no prior teaching experience, as determined by the employing school district, must complete an additional training program that includes classroom management skills and instructional strategies.
(c) The required training programs for substitute teachers may be provided by Florida College System institutions, colleges of education, district school boards, educational consortia, or commercial vendors.
(d) It is recommended that ongoing training and access to professional development offerings be made available to substitute teachers by the employing district.
(2) The Department of Education shall develop web-based resources to enhance district substitute orientation programs.
(3) Districts shall develop performance appraisal measures for assessing the quality of instruction delivered by substitutes who provide instruction for 30 or more days in a single classroom placement.
History.—s. 710, ch. 2002-387; s. 12, ch. 2004-295; s. 183, ch. 2011-5.