2015 Florida Statutes
472.005 Definitions.—As used in ss. 472.001-472.037:
(1) “Board” means the Board of Professional Surveyors and Mappers.
(2) “Department” means the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
(3) “Surveyor and mapper” includes the term “professional surveyor and mapper” and means a person who is registered to engage in the practice of surveying and mapping under ss. 472.001-472.037. For the purposes of this statute, a surveyor and mapper means a person who determines and displays the facts of size, shape, topography, tidal datum planes, legal or geodetic location or relation, and orientation of improved or unimproved real property through direct measurement or from certifiable measurement through accepted photogrammetric procedures.
(4)(a) “Practice of surveying and mapping” means, among other things, any professional service or work, the adequate performance of which involves the application of special knowledge of the principles of mathematics, the related physical and applied sciences, and the relevant requirements of law for adequate evidence of the act of measuring, locating, establishing, or reestablishing lines, angles, elevations, natural and manmade features in the air, on the surface and immediate subsurface of the earth, within underground workings, and on the beds or surface of bodies of water, for the purpose of determining, establishing, describing, displaying, or interpreting the facts of size, shape, topography, tidal datum planes, legal or geodetic location or relocation, and orientation of improved or unimproved real property and appurtenances thereto, including acreage and condominiums.
(b) The practice of surveying and mapping also includes, but is not limited to, photogrammetric control; the monumentation and remonumentation of property boundaries and subdivisions; the measurement of and preparation of plans showing existing improvements after construction; the layout of proposed improvements; the preparation of descriptions for use in legal instruments of conveyance of real property and property rights; the preparation of subdivision planning maps and record plats, as provided for in chapter 177; the determination of, but not the design of, grades and elevations of roads and land in connection with subdivisions or divisions of land; and the creation and perpetuation of alignments related to maps, record plats, field note records, reports, property descriptions, and plans and drawings that represent them.
(5) The term “surveyor and mapper intern” includes the term “surveyor-mapper-in-training” and means a person who complies with the requirements provided by ss. 472.001-472.037 and who has passed an examination as provided by rules adopted by the board.
(6) The term “responsible charge” means direct control and personal supervision of surveying and mapping work, but does not include experience as a chainperson, rodperson, instrumentperson, ordinary draftsperson, digitizer, scriber, photo lab technician, ordinary stereo plotter operator, aerial photo pilot, photo interpreter, and other positions of routine work.
(7) The term “license” means a registration, certificate, or license issued by the department pursuant to this chapter.
(8) “Photogrammetrist” means any person who engages in the practice of surveying and mapping using aerial or terrestrial photography or other sources of images.
(9) “Employee” means a person who receives compensation from and is under the supervision and control of an employer who regularly deducts the F.I.C.A. and withholding tax and provides workers’ compensation, all as prescribed by law.
(10) “Subordinate” means an employee who performs work under the direction, supervision, and responsible charge of a person who is registered under this chapter.
(11) “Monument” means an artificial or natural object that is permanent or semipermanent and used or presumed to occupy any real property corner, any point on a boundary line, or any reference point or other point to be used for horizontal or vertical control.
(12) “Legal entity” means a corporation, partnership, association, or person practicing under a fictitious name who is certified under s. 472.021.
(13) “Retired professional surveyor and mapper” means a person who has been licensed as a professional surveyor and mapper by the board and who chooses to relinquish or not to renew his or her license and applies to and is approved by the board to use the title “Professional Surveyor and Mapper, Retired.”
(14) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of Agriculture.
(15) “Consumer member” means a person appointed to serve on the board who is not, and never has been, a professional surveyor or mapper in any jurisdiction or a member of any closely related profession regulated by the board.
(16) “Licensee” means any person or business entity that has been issued, pursuant to this chapter, a registration, certificate, or license by the department.
History.—ss. 21, 42, ch. 79-243; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; s. 48, ch. 83-329; ss. 5, 7, ch. 89-137; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 85, ch. 94-119; s. 153, ch. 94-218; s. 5, ch. 2001-63; s. 2, ch. 2002-41; s. 4, ch. 2005-129; s. 3, ch. 2009-66; s. 3, ch. 2012-67.