2016 Florida Statutes
Chapter 636 PREPAID LIMITED HEALTH SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS AND DISCOUNT MEDICAL PLAN ORGANIZATIONS Entire Chapter
636.202 Definitions.—As used in this part, the term:
(1) “Discount medical plan” means a business arrangement or contract in which a person, in exchange for fees, dues, charges, or other consideration, provides access for plan members to providers of medical services and the right to receive medical services from those providers at a discount. The term “discount medical plan” does not include any product regulated under chapter 627, chapter 641, or part I of this chapter, or any medical services provided through a telecommunications medium that does not offer a discount to the plan member for those medical services.
(2) “Discount medical plan organization” means an entity which, in exchange for fees, dues, charges, or other consideration, provides access for plan members to providers of medical services and the right to receive medical services from those providers at a discount.
(3) “Marketer” means a person or entity which markets, promotes, sells, or distributes a discount medical plan, including a private label entity which places its name on and markets or distributes a discount medical plan but does not operate a discount medical plan.
(4) “Medical services” means any care, service, or treatment of illness or dysfunction of, or injury to, the human body, including, but not limited to, physician care, inpatient care, hospital surgical services, emergency services, ambulance services, dental care services, vision care services, mental health services, substance abuse services, chiropractic services, podiatric care services, laboratory services, and medical equipment and supplies. The term does not include pharmaceutical supplies or prescriptions.
(5) “Member” means any person who pays fees, dues, charges, or other consideration for the right to receive the purported benefits of a discount medical plan.
(6) “Provider” means any person or institution which is contracted, directly or indirectly, with a discount medical plan organization to provide medical services to members.
(7) “Provider network” means an entity which negotiates on behalf of more than one provider with a discount medical plan organization to provide medical services to members.
History.—s. 31, ch. 2004-297; s. 1, ch. 2005-232; s. 2, ch. 2016-240.