2004 Florida Statutes
Children of deceased or disabled veterans; education.
(1) It is hereby declared to be the policy of the state to provide educational opportunity at state expense for dependent children either of whose parents was a resident of the state at the time such parent entered the Armed Forces and:
(a) Died as a result of service-connected injuries, disease, or disability sustained while on active duty; or
(b) Has been:
1. Determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or its predecessor to have a service-connected 100-percent total and permanent disability rating for compensation;
2. Determined to have a service-connected total and permanent disability rating of 100 percent and is in receipt of disability retirement pay from any branch of the United States Armed Services; or
3. Issued a valid identification card by the Department of Veterans' Affairs in accordance with s. 295.17,
when the parents of such children have been bona fide residents of the state for 5 years next preceding their application for the benefits hereof, and subject to the rules, restrictions, and limitations hereof.
(3) The State Board of Education shall adopt rules for administering this section.
History.--s. 1, ch. 20966, 1941; s. 1, ch. 21655, 1943; s. 1, ch. 28195, 1953; s. 1, ch. 67-455; s. 16, ch. 69-180; s. 1, ch. 82-93; s. 2, ch. 83-71; s. 12, ch. 84-114; s. 11, ch. 87-356; s. 21, ch. 88-290; s. 25, ch. 89-207; s. 6, ch. 93-268; s. 20, ch. 95-143; s. 6, ch. 2000-294; s. 948, ch. 2002-387; s. 6, ch. 2004-230.