2004 Florida Statutes
Special requirements for certain applicants.
(1) Each applicant who registers by mail and who has never previously voted in the county shall be required to provide a copy of a current and valid identification, as provided in subsection (3), or indicate that he or she is exempt from the requirements prior to voting. The applicant may provide the identification or indication at the time of registering, or at any time prior to voting for the first time in the county. If the voter registration application clearly provides information from which the supervisor can determine that the applicant meets at least one of the exemptions in subsection (4), the supervisor shall make the notation on the registration records and the applicant shall not be required to provide further information that is required of first time voters who register by mail.
(2) The supervisor of elections shall, upon accepting the voter registration for an applicant who registered by mail and who has not previously voted in the county, determine if the applicant provided the required identification at the time of registering. If the required identification was not provided, the supervisor shall notify the applicant that he or she must provide the identification prior to voting the first time in the county.
(3)(a) The following forms of identification shall be considered current and valid if they contain the name and photograph of the applicant and have not expired:
1. Florida driver's license.
2. Florida identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
3. United States passport.
4. Employee badge or identification.
5. Buyer's club identification.
6. Debit or credit card.
7. Military identification.
8. Student identification.
9. Retirement center identification.
10. Neighborhood association identification.
11. Entertainment identification.
12. Public assistance identification.
(b) The following forms of identification shall be considered current and valid if they contain the name and current residence address of the applicant:
1. Utility bill.
2. Bank statement.
3. Government check.
5. Other government document (excluding voter identification card).
(4) The following persons are exempt from the identification requirements of this section:
(a) Persons 65 years of age or older.
(b) Persons with a temporary or permanent physical disability.
(c) Members of the uniformed service on active duty who, by reason of such active duty, are absent from the county on election day.
(d) Members of the Merchant Marine who, by reason of service in the Merchant Marine, are absent from the county on election day.
(e) The spouse or dependent of a member referred to in paragraph (c) or paragraph (d) who, by reason of the active duty or service of the member, is absent from the county on election day.
(f) Persons currently residing outside the United States who are eligible to vote in Florida.
History.--s. 6, ch. 2003-415.