2014 Florida Statutes
Siting of hazardous waste facilities.
Siting of hazardous waste facilities.
403.723 Siting of hazardous waste facilities.—It is the intent of the Legislature to facilitate siting of proper hazardous waste storage facilities in each region and any additional storage, treatment, or disposal facilities as required. The Legislature recognizes the need for facilitating disposal of waste produced by small generators, reducing the volume of wastes generated in the state, reducing the toxicity of wastes generated in the state, and providing treatment and disposal facilities in the state.
(1) Each county shall complete a hazardous waste management assessment and designate areas within the county at which a hazardous waste storage facility could be constructed to meet a demonstrated need.
(2) After each county designates areas for storage facilities, each regional planning council shall designate one or more sites at which a regional hazardous waste storage or treatment facility could be constructed.
(3) The department, within 30 days of receipt of a complete application for a hazardous waste facility construction or modification permit, shall notify each unit of local government within 3 miles of the proposed facility that a permit application has been received and shall publish a notice in a newspaper of general circulation in the area of the proposed facility that a complete permit application has been received.
(4) Upon request by a person who has applied for a hazardous waste facility permit from the department, the local government having jurisdiction over the proposed site shall, within 90 days of such request, determine whether or not the proposed site is consistent and in compliance with adopted local government comprehensive plans, local land use ordinances, local zoning ordinances or regulations, and other local ordinances in effect at the time a hazardous waste facility construction or modification permit application is made or is an area or site designated for the purpose of such facility according to this act.
(5) If the local government determines within 90 days of the request that construction or modification of the facility does not comply with such plans, ordinances, regulations, or area or site designations pursuant to this act, the person requesting the determination may request a variance from such plans, ordinances, regulations, or designations.
(6) If the variance requested by the applicant is denied by local government or if there is no determination made by local government pursuant to subsection (4) within 90 days of the request, or if there is no action on the variance requested by the applicant within 90 days of the request for the variance, the person requesting such determination or variance may petition the Governor and Cabinet for a variance from the local ordinances, assessments, regulations, plans, or area and site designations.
(7) The Governor and Cabinet shall grant the variance from any local ordinances, assessments, area and site designations, regulations, or plans only if a hazardous waste permit has been issued by the department and if the Governor and Cabinet find, based upon competent substantial evidence that clearly and convincingly establishes, that the facility:
(a) Will not have a significant adverse impact on the environment, including ground and surface water resources, of the region; and
(b) Will not have a significant adverse impact on the economy of the region.
(8) The Governor and Cabinet shall also consider the record of the proceeding before the local government, when determining whether to grant a petition for a variance from local ordinances, regulations, or plans.
(9) The Governor and Cabinet may adopt rules of procedure that govern these proceedings.
History.—s. 8, ch. 80-302; s. 41, ch. 81-167; s. 269, ch. 81-259; s. 43, ch. 83-55; s. 28, ch. 83-310.