- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2005 Florida Statutes
Enforcement of parking requirements for persons who have disabilities.
316.1955 Enforcement of parking requirements for persons who have disabilities.--
(1) It is unlawful for any person to stop, stand, or park a vehicle within, or to obstruct, any such specially designated and marked parking space provided in accordance with s. 553.5041, unless the vehicle displays a disabled parking permit issued under s. 316.1958 or s. 320.0848 or a license plate issued under s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, or s. 320.0845, and the vehicle is transporting the person to whom the displayed permit is issued. The violation may not be dismissed for failure of the marking on the parking space to comply with s. 553.5041 if the space is in general compliance and is clearly distinguishable as a designated accessible parking space for people who have disabilities. Only a warning may be issued for unlawfully parking in a space designated for persons with disabilities if there is no above-grade sign as provided in s. 553.5041
(a) Whenever a law enforcement officer, a parking enforcement specialist, or the owner or lessee of the space finds a vehicle in violation of this subsection, that officer, owner, or lessor shall have the vehicle in violation removed to any lawful parking space or facility or require the operator or other person in charge of the vehicle immediately to remove the unauthorized vehicle from the parking space. Whenever any vehicle is removed under this section to a storage lot, garage, or other safe parking space, the cost of the removal and parking constitutes a lien against the vehicle.
(b) The officer or specialist shall charge the operator or other person in charge of the vehicle in violation with a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as provided in s. 316.008(4) or s. 318.18(6).
(c) All convictions for violations of this section must be reported to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles by the clerk of the court.
(d) A law enforcement officer or a parking enforcement specialist has the right to demand to be shown the person's disabled parking permit and driver's license or state identification card when investigating the possibility of a violation of this section. If such a request is refused, the person in charge of the vehicle may be charged with resisting an officer without violence, as provided in s. 843.02
(2) It is unlawful for any person to obstruct the path of travel to an accessible parking space, curb cut, or access aisle by standing or parking a vehicle within any such designated area. The violator is subject to the same penalties as are imposed for illegally parking in a space that is designated as an accessible parking space for persons who have disabilities.
(3) Any person who is chauffeuring a person who has a disability is allowed, without need for a disabled parking permit or a special license plate, to stand temporarily in any such parking space, for the purpose of loading or unloading the person who has a disability. A penalty may not be imposed upon the driver for such temporary standing.
(4)(a) A vehicle that is transporting a person who has a disability and that has been granted a permit under s. 320.0848(1)(a) may be parked for a maximum of 30 minutes in any parking space reserved for persons who have disabilities.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), a theme park or an entertainment complex as defined in s. 509.013(9) which provides parking in designated areas for persons who have disabilities may allow any vehicle that is transporting a person who has a disability to remain parked in a space reserved for persons who have disabilities throughout the period the theme park is open to the public for that day.
History.--s. 1, ch. 75-105; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 2, ch. 77-83; s. 1, ch. 77-444; ss. 1, 8, ch. 79-82; s. 123, ch. 79-400; s. 1, ch. 80-196; s. 2, ch. 84-234; s. 2, ch. 85-227; s. 1, ch. 87-225; s. 22, ch. 90-330; s. 80, ch. 91-221; s. 3, ch. 93-183; s. 2, ch. 96-200; s. 25, ch. 96-350; s. 8, ch. 97-76; s. 1, ch. 98-202; s. 89, ch. 99-13; s. 146, ch. 99-248; s. 16, ch. 2000-141.
Note.--Former s. 316.165.